Escort 1.6 zetec (95) speedo/mileage dead

The speedo/mileage counter is dead on my car, a couple of mechanics think it might need a new gearbox, Someone had a look at the speedo cable got a kink out of it but still no joy, the latest mechanic I called said he'd need to check some sort of speed valve? any ideas? thanks Mike

Reply to
Isildur

Isildur opined in news:41e67006$0$244$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com:

I think the bottom line answer is to find a mechanic with half a brain rather than straw in that skull

Could be the cable is broken, the driven gear where the cable attaches to trans, the speedo itself

I'd raise the car, disc from speedo and see if cable inner turns with no noise or jerking

Kinks in that cable are not good.... straightening wont fix it, BTW

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic