Escort 1.6L Speedo needle...

Just bought a 94 Escort...all sound but...

The needle on the Speedometer between 0 and about 30MPH flickers up and down whether your accelerating or at a steady say, 25MPH. Go above it and it's smooth.

Any ideas what the problem can be and if this can be fixed?

Cheers

Reply to
Kontaminator

First, find out if the speedo is mech or electronically driven.

Maybe someone else knows but I dont have time, whilst saving the world and commenting on soccer and all... but you should find out first hand, anyway... look for a stiff cable from the trans through the firewall in vicinity of gauge cluster.

Usually a dry cable or sleeve if it has such, but may also be a bad speedo gear in trans (less likely)or bad speedo drum/disc in the gauge (even less likely)

If cable, pull out the center and see if it has steel threads loose. otherwise lube helps a lot.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

============= =============

The problem is likely the fact that it's got the wrong engine in the car.

My techdata is showing only 1.8 or 1.9 for that year/model.

other than that, What BM said......ditto.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marshal Monster

He's posting from the UK but it does sound like a dry cable.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Kitterman

AFAIK they're all mechanical in a 94' Escort. The speedo cable on these has a tendency to get noisy. Sometimes it's related to water getting into it at the tranny end. I noticed this after a car wash. Best fix is to replace the cable but lubing it might work. It's not easy to disconnect the cable at the instrument cluster. You have to lower the steering column on the seat to remove the plastic trim around the cluster. The cable also has to be pulled from the tranny so you can push it through the firewall while pulling the cluster toward you. Then you can reach behind the cluster to disconnect the cable. Considering the labor involved, I suggest you get a new cable just to be safe. It would be a real drag if you had to do it a second time because lubing the old cable didn't fix the problem.

Reply to
Fordfan