Escort 1990 Automatic Stalling (UK Model)

I just bought a very good looking 1990 Escort Automatic with 24000 miles on the clock despite being an H registration. The bodywork and interior matches the milage and the vehicle condition is very good.
The MOTs all corroberate the mileage.
The car stalls after a few minutes and the idle speed is erratic. The car stalls often as the idle speed is usually too low. But sometimes the idle speed is ok and even a bit too high!?! I keep thinking that if I can turn up the idle speed then I can live with the occasional high revs if the low rev idle doesn't stall the engine. I tried this morning to do this but I don't know what I'm doing. Would it be a waste of time anyway?
Does anyone have any knowledge of this problem?
thanks
Richard

Okay, well, what engine does it have? Is it a CVT unit?
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com