Escort 1996 1.9 sefi

1996 1.9 liter SEFI canadian First of all, i'd like to know if these are freeweheeling engines ? Second: i have this strange problem ....went to grocery store stopped engine (was working fine) 15 minutes later got back in the car start the engine ,it would not start at all unless i keep my foot on the gas pedal ,and there was a stange knocking noise ... Got it itowed at home, Checked Timing belt marks... right on their spot ... Compression cyl 1 150 cyl2 160 3 0 cyl 4 0 Then i tried to turn the engine with a ratchet , it only moves that much : let's say close to 90 degrees...... from side to side ... Since i had compression on only 2 cylinders i figured the camshaft was broken in 2 .... well, it does'nt look like it So then i backed off the nuts from the rocker arms of cylinder 3 &4 , just to make sure there wasn't a valve sticking or something like that ,... it doesn't look it either....... I am very confused about this problem .... I figure that if there was something wrong with the cranshaft , it would be seized and would not move at all ...am I right ?? So basically , i'd like to get some tips about that problem Has anyone ever experienced this ??? SO far , i can not why this would happen ! Any help would be appreciated Regards Pat P.S. Sorry guys about my poor english.....
Reply to
Ringo Rinfret

Whatever.. you're going to have to take the head off.

what difference does it make WHY? Or do you like your bad news in small doses?

Ringo Rinfret opined in news:LuV7d.569$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Well, i know i'll have to take the head off... That is one sure thing... I was trying to fiugure out , what could possibly cause the problem . Since I can not see ,with the head on , tomorrow night i'll be taking it off the engine.

"Backyard Mechanic" a écrit dans le message de news: Xns957787382DA20BkMch6d@207.115.63.158...

Reply to
Ringo Rinfret