Escort

Hi all, I have a problem with my 1996 Escort 1.6 16v I have got next to nothing in acceleration in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears, the engine just splutters when I give gas! yet if I accelerate very slowly its okay, I have put various additives in the petrol to clean the injection system but they don't help, has anybody got any idea's as to what the trouble is? Eddie..

Reply to
Eddie

could be the mass air flow sensor, had a lot of problems with these on the mondeo's, unplug it and the ECU should refer to dafault "get you home" mode which will put all setting in a basic mode, if it runs ok with the unit unplugged then replace. might also be the coil pack, again another common fault, will short out when under load, IE when in a higher gear or when climbing a hill etc. both items available as aftermarket items from your local parts supplier. steve.

Reply to
anon

i?m having the same problem with my escort. so far i?ve changed the plugs, wires, and the coil pack. i?ve also unplugged the MAF sensor to see if anything would change and it didn?t.an associated problem with my hill climbing sputtering is that my car stalls out when i brake hard to a stop.

Reply to
gorgeousload