Escort

Hi all, I have a problem with my 1996 Escort 1.6 16v I have got next to nothing in acceleration in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears, the engine just splutters when I give gas! yet if I accelerate very slowly its okay, I have
put various additives in the petrol to clean the injection system but they don't help, has anybody got any idea's as to what the trouble is? Eddie..
could be the mass air flow sensor, had a lot of problems with these on the mondeo's, unplug it and the ECU should refer to dafault "get you home" mode which will put all setting in a basic mode, if it runs ok with the unit unplugged then replace. might also be the coil pack, again another common fault, will short out when under load, IE when in a higher gear or when climbing a hill etc. both items available as aftermarket items from your local parts supplier. steve.

"none59" wrote: > could be the mass air flow sensor, had a lot of problems with > these on the > mondeo's, unplug it and the ECU should refer to dafault "get > you home" mode > which will put all setting in a basic mode, if it runs ok with > the unit > unplugged then replace. > might also be the coil pack, again another common fault, will > short out when > under load, IE when in a higher gear or when climbing a hill > etc. > both items available as aftermarket items from your local > parts supplier. > steve. > >
> > > Hi all, I have a problem with my 1996 Escort 1.6 16v I have > got next to > > nothing in acceleration in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears, the > engine just > > splutters when I give gas! yet if I accelerate very slowly > its okay, I > have > > put various additives in the petrol to clean the injection > system but they > > don't help, has anybody got any idea's as to what the > trouble is? > > Eddie.. > > > > > >
im having the same problem with my escort. so far ive changed the plugs, wires, and the coil pack. ive also unplugged the MAF sensor to see if anything would change and it didnt.an associated problem with my hill climbing sputtering is that my car stalls out when i brake hard to a stop.