Escort 92 1.6 black smoke, high idle, petrol smell..

Any advice apprechiated. I have a 1992 Escort 1.6lx, with Weber V2 TLD carb, which has developed a whole heap of seemingly related problems. Turn the key and you have to rev the engine to get it to start (and not to stall), then follows loads of black smoke from the exhaust and real nasty smell of unburnt fuel. The high idle does not kick in when the engine is cold like this. Choke sticks on until the engine is hot at which point the idle shoots up to 2000rpm and stays there, even on long journeys. Checked the autochoke - the hot coolant pipes to it are not getting warm. Checked for blockages and checked the thermostat - all ok. Any ideas how to fix this? Andy

Reply to
Sheila Skraga

The coolant runs through the interior heater matrix first and then the choke. Check the heater matrix isn't blocked. (do you get heat?) Take the matrix out of circuit by taking the pipes off under the engine bay and just connecting them together with a bit of copper pipe.

pottsy

Ok, I plumbed the pipes straight to the auto-choke earlier (taking the heater matrix out), and sure enough in a few minutes of running the engine the autochoke got warm coolant and opened up fine (so thats working ok at least). Problem is, there were all the same symptons as before - no high idle, thick sooty black smoke from exhaust (really bad when revved), wisps of fuel mist from the carby, all the usual, in fact I lost the idle altogther when i revved the engine high, the revs just shot back down to zero and the engine died. Restarted - still no idle. Plugs were all covered in black soot as expected. Vaccum pipes to carby all seem present and correct. Also the waxstat type flap on the front of the AC doesnt seem to work at all, but surely that would not be cause of all these probs? Any ideas apprechiated.

Reply to
Sheila Skraga

"Sheila Skraga" wrote in news:1yS1f.124$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

  1. WTF was Ford-Europe doing building a carbed car in 92?!!!! Did they buy the old Yugo/Fiat plant or something?
  2. anyway....

Stuck or leaky float or float valve

metering jet loose or out

fuel pressure too high

But then, I quit working on carbs bigger than a lawn mower 20 years ago... when fuel systems went modern and efficient and a LOT easier to fix for a 62 YO logic-engineer type.

So what do I know....

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic