escort air bag light flashing

hi there all

i have and 1997 escort lx with 120 000 KM on it , and since yesterday the air bag light is flashing , it is flashing 4 time the stop and then it is flashing 5 times and the stop , and does that on and on , so can someone tell me what to check for and where it is on the car , is the number of flash a code that could tell me what is wrong .

patrice

Reply to
Patrice Barrette

found that on both the contour and mustang that relates to LH primary crash sensor improperly mounted... Disconnect battery for half hour, then locate both sensor mounting points, remove and clean mounting points, use dielectric grease to forestall future corrosion and re-fasten securely. Handle carefully of course.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

yes it looks like it , it is behind the rad and there is a big spot of rust bulging out , but is there a after market part that i can buy instead of the Ford one , because here i called Ford and they are selling it for 180 $ , it is a bit expensive , for a small cubic box , is there a place on the web that i can order it a a cheaper price

pat

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
Patrice Barrette

like backyard said, remove it, clean the mounting points, and re-install. The code is for a bad ground, not a bad sensor. FWIW, my Taurus had the exact same code. All it took was removing the sensor and its bracket then re-installing.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

i'll try that , but there is a big buldge of rust on the side of the sensor , going out about 1/2 an inch ,

thank's

patrice

ShoeSalesman wrote:

Reply to
Patrice Barrette

Yep, I would try it first. let us know what happens.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman