Escort engine underheating - any ideas?

I've got an Escort van that runs too cool. If it idles on a warm day it warms up to midway on the temp dial. But as soon a I drive off it cools down. Thermostat changed twice.
No garage will take it on - any suggestins gratefully recieved.
Thanks
Stephen

Got those "garages" stumped. After a complete "warmup", check the upper radiator hose. It should be hot to the touch. If so, the heater core most likely may be plugged up. Have the cooling system flushed.