Escort headlight problem

I have an Escort LX on a K plate, 1994 Mk4 I think. The problem is that sidelights work, full beam works but main beam does not work at all, actually gets dimmer switching from sidelights to main beam.
Changed the switch module (indicators, wipers, lights etc) behind the steering wheel with another one picked up from a scrappie but same problem. Tried a different relay from the same scrap car but didn't have any effect. Any way of checking where the problem is? Is it headlight switch, relay, or something else?
Happened while driving, had to drive home with a bodge job - one light off, other on full beam, got halfway home before engine cut out (electrical) so alternator wasn't working either, it was running on battery until it conked out flat.
Anybody had this problem before? Is it common? What's the most likely solution and the best way to figure out where the problem is?
Cheers,
Replace headlamp bulbs (globes), clean bulb plug-ins, and clean/tighten ground (earth) connections. Also have alternator, cables, & battery checked/replaced.
catisfit wrote:

Are you sure that the bulbs work? I don't think so.

try ground connection and replace bulbs ford switches do burn check contacts at switch
hurc ast