Escort Motor Racing

My 1995 Escort LX has been running pretty good for the most part. Recently the motor started racing. I started it a little earlier. It never went below 2.75 RPM. I hope that's the right measurement. It was warmed up in no time. Awhile back we had a 1988 Celebrity act like that. Could I hear some suggestions? As I said before, it's been a very good car.

Sincerely, Darren Thornton

Reply to
Darren Thornton

Not sure, but how about trying this Check the connector to the throttle position sensor (TPS) and if its ok then the TPS itself with an analog voltmeter, look for an even sweep from under 1v to almost 5v turning the potentiometer all the way. If it doesn't measure underr 1v at rest then I'd say get a new one. Also check the ground (continuity) and signal (~5v) wires on the connector going towards the ECU.

Reply to
sleepdog

Not familiar with a '95 Escort (the last Escort I owned was a British '70), but I seriously doubt that a bad TPS will cause the engine to race at 2750 RPM. The TPS is only an auxiliary sensor, helping the ECM decide on strategy, and won't have a major impact on RPM. I would look for the throttle plate not closing for some reason. Perhaps a bent shaft or broken return spring. Binding cable is another reason. If the vehicle has cruise control, it could be a stuck cruise control servo or its connecting cable. And finally, perhaps someone attempted to 'adjust' idle speed without knowing what they were doing...

Reply to
Happy Traveler