Escort no heat

I have a 99 escort. The blower motor froze last week. I thawed it out and it doesn't work. I took the blower out and jumped it to the battery and it worked. I checked the circuit breaker for continuity and it was
fine. Can anyone help me out with this?
rac

How could the motor have possibly "froze"? It sounds like the problem is in either the blower switch, or in the blower resistor to me.
CJB
CJB wrote:

Had a lot of rain and water got into the air vent and settled into the plastic cover. Went down to 10 degrees one night and froze. Where is the resistor located? I'll assume the switch is the one below the radio.
rac

The resistor pack is located near the blower motor, attached to the air duct with two bolts and has a couple of wire connectors that usually get a bit corroded on the terminals. The resistor pack has a thermal diode that blows when there's no airflow from the blower. Costs about $14 from the dealer to replace.
Bob
Exactly how well does the motor spin when you connect ti directly to the battery? I had my blower motor under water, and after I thawed it out and let it dry out, it spun very slowly at first, but after a day it was fine. That was several years ago.