escort radio

hello strange thing here! just got this car from my father , who got it from my sister 6 months earlier. there is no sound from the radio, despite it apparently functioning properly. all the buttons work , seek scan etc my father does not remember if he ever heard the radio...really strange! and I have not heard from my sister about it misfuntioning.

any ideas about the radio, speakers etc tx brian

Reply to
Brian

Make sure all your speakers are connected properly. Also, make sure that the speakers even work. Is the system stock, or aftermarket?

Reply to
Mistercmk

Sounds like someone put the OEM radio back in the car and forgot to plug in the speaker harness. If this is the factory Ford radio, there are usually two harnesses on the back of the radio, black and grey. One has the ground, battery, ignition and backlight wires (black I think) and the other has the

8 (6 on some cars) speaker wires.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

Reply to
Brian

what year escort? I doubt the wires would work themselves free. morelikely some work was done and the weren't reconnected. like heater core/Ac coil Fan switch.

THere are some tricks in getting the later years out that will save you a lot of time.

Drew

Reply to
Mr Mrs Bailey

Yeah, there is a really good chance that the harness is not plugged in all the way, or not plugged in at all. If the wires got fetched up while the radio was being pushed back into the dash, they may have caught and worked the connector loose, even though it was plugged in when the radio was out of the dash.

I would pull it out and check both harnesses. Most of the Ford radios need a special tool to be removed, but on the most common ones, (4 holes, one in each corner) you can bend a coat hanger and make your own tool. Simply insert both tools at the same time, push them all the way in, pull outward on the tools while pulling out toward you, and the radio should unclip so you can pull it out.

You didn't mention what year vehicle this is, so the above may not apply as far as removing the radio. But the older Ford radios were mostly this way.

Good luck Sharky

Reply to
Sharky