Escort rear suspension spring

Hello,

I was hosed by dealer for $600 because both rear springs were cracked. There was one extra thread of spring starting at the bottom and ending behind strut. It was suspicious to me both springs would be cracked at the same place. Now I am thinking extra thread is there from factory. Car is year 97 with 70 000 highway miles. Is on web some part diagram database where I can check original look of spring? Could anyone with newer Escort check his rear suspension spring if it consists only from one segment or if it starts as two springs and second finishes after one thread? I do not know if it is visible without lifting car. New one from motorcraft is from one segment. If dual thread is how Ford makes them, then it is good trick how to make money for repair shops. Especially considering the car is not produced anymore so customer could not check it easily. I would change them in two years anyway, but do not like to be cheated :-(.

Thank you,

Stan

Reply to
Stan Benda

I don't think you've been cheated, and its unlikely that a manufacturer would design these in a way that generates money, you should have more faith in your dealer, besides even if only one of them was broken etc you should always replace these springs in pairs anyway. they are generally sold in pairs, it could be potentially dangerous to only replace one spring, by the way.I looked "hosed" up in my dictionary, it still says you were washed down with water. Steve.

Reply to
steve

They were cracked/disconnected on both sides at the same spot. It was kind of strange to me. It looked like from manufacturer, but that could be because of rust proofing coat spraying. Car is riding like new on all those pot holes after winter :-). I just wanted to know how those springs looks on newer car.

Agree. Slang should not be used in USENET. Sorry for that.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Benda

No problem, just never heard that term before, (from the uk here) so have to read between the lines. i guessed what you meant anyway, just thought i would mention it. steve

Reply to
steve

Heh.. you don't use "hosed" in the UK?

And I don't even like to remember what you consider randy. (I have an uncle named randy.)

I love the variations on a single language. :-D

Reply to
Clem

They were cracked...it's a very common problem and not limited to the Escort/Tracer either.

Reply to
Stephan Mynarkiewicz

I have a 98 (SE wagon), just bought it a couple of weeks ago, and the rear suspension springs are a single coil. When I was going to pick it up I asked here what specifically to look at before driving it away, and I was told to check the rear springs for breaks at the bottom. Apparently a common porblem.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Iwas in for tires at Goodyear recently. They said one of my springs were bad and it was very common. That that I read this, they can be believed. They quoted me 499 for both. 98 Escort.

- John

Reply to
John Perry

It is very common because of a plastic sleeve that they used on them. A lot of times it happens on both sides and nobody even notices (It's like getting your car lowered, for free). If it happens to my Escort, I'll just get new ones and put them in myself (along with new struts) then get it aligned. You don't need a spring compressor to do the back ones on a 1991-1996 Escort (according to my service manual) so how hard can it be to do?

Reply to
Childfree Scott