escort rolls in gear?

I noticed today while coasting down the driveway that I was in Reverse. The engine was off and there was no "pressure" at all on the car.
This is a 1.9L Automatic.
Is there some sort of "automatic clutch" when the engine is not running?? The car currently "wont start" (happened a week ago) and was rolled to the end of the drive to be picked up by tow sometime this week.
Yes, sort-of. Automatic trannies are engaged by hydraulic pressure. The engine must be running to make the pressure. No engine, no engagement.
Old autos could be push-started sometimes because the drive shaft spinning would make enough pressure to spin the motor. Modern designs don't.
I hope this is helpful. PoD

Yes... very helpful... I was worried for a little bit 8-)
Thank you much Paul!