Escort Speed Sensor

Anyone know where is the speed sensor on a 96 escort and is it easy to change? I assume its on the transmission, but is it accessible? The condition I am trying to correct is fluctuating speed indication above 50
MPH. Have replace the cable to no avail. Gary
Gary Compton opined in

If that's a standard speedo cable to the inst. cluster that you replaced, then the problem is either in your speedometer itself or the gear in the trans.. do you have cruise?
See if it works and holds steady speed, while the needle fluctuates.. if so, it's not the gear.
No, no cruise control. When you say gear in the transmission, is that internal to the transmission or just something you screw in. I didn't replace the cable myself, so I'm not familiar with how it connects. Gary

50
so,
Okay... when it fluctuates, is it jumping up or dropping down? And how much?
up=likely the speedo, down=likely the gear
Stiff cable from firewall to tranny, probably a plastic pickup at end of cable.. and two wires from it, unbolt that.. it's a nylon or composite slanted tooth gear.
Also... drive it on freeway, and check odometer against mile markers while it fluctuates... if odo is right (+/- 5 %) then problem is in the meter.
Say when you are doing about 50 mph, it swings back and forth between 40 and 60, perhaps a little less, but that's the general pattern.

much?
it