Escort suspension

I have a 95 Escort Wagon. I had thought my rear struts were blown, so I took them off the car and disassembled them only to find that BOTH rear springs were broken. It appears that moisture got in between the coils and rubber sleave and rusted them out. From what I gather this is a fairly common problem. Since I fear getting used springs that are that old (considering the problem I was having), I was wondering what year vehicles had equivalent or compatible springs in the back? Did the Protege have springs without the sleaves?

dan

Reply to
Daniel J Meyer

Hi Dan, from another Dan My daughters 91 merc tracer has 2 broken rear springs and has had them for sometime (couple of years). I was concerned about them until I found out that ford knew about the problem and has declared the broken springs to be a non problem according to a consumer complaint site somewhere. Yes it is a fairly common problem, so much so that Auto Zone sells replacement springs at a reasonable cost (I believe about $50 a set). They are an aftermarket auto parts supplier and would only stock parts if there is a need for them. Or another way to thing about it, enough springs break so they can make money supplying replacements.

Good luck.

Reply to
Dan