Ever seen one of these trucks?

I saw a Ford truck today different than I've ever seen. It was the "Heritage" style F-150 extended cab, 4x4. The badge on the tailgate said "F150 7700." I interpret that to mean it's an F150, right? But the thing had the heavy duty axles and 7 or 8 bolt wheels of the 250-350 series. I guess the "7700" means that it's a higher payload vehicle, i.e. 7700 lbs gvwr.

Ever seen one of those? I wonder how long they were made and why? I'm guessing that some folks must have wanted the "heritage" truck with a higher payload capacity, rather than the new, bigger bodystyle, but it just seems odd to have an F-150 and a 7700 pound gvwr. Why not call it a Heritage F-250?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

The Heritage was made for one year, after the newest all new version F150 was introduced, to use up all of the left over 'stuff' from the pervious model.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm aware of that, and I probably wasn't clear. The truck I mentioned was the bodystyle of the heritage. It could have been from the preceeding years when that bodystyle was in regular production. I just found the configuration odd. Why call it an F150 when it has the running gear of an F-250 or 350?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I doubt that it was anything but an F150, it was more likely a Dana aftermarket dual wheel conversion.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The light duty F250 was only built for one or two years (there is no 1998 SuperDuty) while the SuperDuty was being redesigned. This made a nightmare for parts people since one had to learn to ask if a particular F250 was a SuperDuty or a light duty.....

When the F250 became a SuperDuty, there was a gap left in GVW ratings. Enter the F150/7700..... IIRC, the GVW is 7700 (what else?) pounds and the truck is easily identified by it's 7 lug wheels. These are fairly popular in our area for those that wanted a light truck with the ability to handle a fair sized load....

Reply to
Jim Warman

That's the truck I'm talking about. It was definitely a factory built truck, but a weird combination. I just hadn't seen one before, or if I did, I had assumed the truck was a 3/4 or 1 ton.

CJB

Reply to
CJB