Excessive fuel consumption on 1996 Thunderbirb

I have a 1996 Thunderbirb with 3.8 L engine. It has 100,000 km. I have replaced spark plugs, injectors puged, new gas filter (all dealer service) in attemp to solve fuel consumption problem. I only have this car about 4 weeks and start notice that this car take too much. Does anyone has similar problem or what do you think it is? Dealer can not offer any suggestion at this time.

Fuel consumption history

16.5L per 100 km 15.4L per 100 km

mix between country drive and highway with everage road speed 80 to 110 km

> Engine operating temperature gauge appear to be normal (temp gauge has "C

normal and H" the needle usually just below the letter "n")

Can not determine if there is lack of engine power because I have never

driven a Ford with 3.8L. However, it seems to accelerate smoothly and reach

80 ot 110 km/h without too much of a problem.
Tires pressure and break is normal. If I place the gear shift level in

"N", the car can be pushed without too much effort.

No problem starting the engine > No fluides lost that I can see. > Tranmission oil was replaced by Mister Tranmission as preventive

maintenance (no problem with tranmission)

Help!

Reply to
Paul

For those that don't do metric, that's a car with ~62000 miles getting about 14 mpg.

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. My 4.6L '96 bird gets about 23 mpg. I'm going to estimate and say about 9-10L per 100 km.

Reply to
Brian Steele