Excursion ?

I am looking into purchasing a used Excursion with a diesel. Ok lets here all the good and the bad points. What should I be looking for? Year? Mileage? Problems?

-- Michael XB9S_03 FLHRCI_00 Long Island, NY

Reply to
Bowhunter1

I got a V10 03 Excision. I just like the gas-engine sound especially with some exhaust work. Diesel I never owned, but I just can't stand the odor of it. I get about 10 miles to a gallon, but I heard that you can get about 17 with diesel. Watch out for diesel tax that might be coming into effect in certain states.

SHO

Reply to
SHO

Pros for Diesel: Increased fuel economy... Cheaper fuel cost (usually)...

5yr/100K Engine warranty....Superior towing capabilities....Higher retained resale value..(chech out how cheap you can get a V10 Excursion these days, the Diesel with the same equipment, and mileage will always comand a higher resale price based upon the NADA.
Reply to
Glenflow55

NADA lists a 4 year old Excursion with the 7.3L TD at $2,900 more than one with the V10, but it cost nearly $6,000 more to buy when new. That $6,000 would have added nearly $200 to a three year finance contract as well. The 5.4L V8 is listed at $600 less than the V10. None of them are cheap. NADA lists the Excursion at $6,000 more than a 4 year old F250 HD, on which it is based. ;)

mike hunt

Glenflow55 wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Yep, just like I said the diesel holds a higher resale value. PLUS, you get the added advantage of nearly TWICE the fuel economy, a better warranty, and an engine that will last and last and run cool even when towing a large trailer. If you are not gonna tow and you don't live in an area you need 4x4, then the

5.4 could be best (since its only available in 2wd form anyway), but its fuel mileage isn't that much better than the V10, as it has to work much harder just to move the beast around, and if you don't need to tow, seems an 2004 Expedition would be the best bet, it sure rides better, as the Excursion is ALL TRUCK.
Reply to
Cmsearls1

Apparently, Ford did make 03 and 04 Excursions ride bit better than trucks. LIMITED are even better. However, Yukon and Suburban are much better though when it comes to riding comforts, but not as rugged and bit smaller.

Reply to
SHO