Exhaust system questions

motor is running great! have my timing and fuel system working great.
63 fairlane, 302 size small block ford motor. question - exhaust ilet pipes, from exhaust manifolds back -
any one know if I can use an inlet/h-pipe from a mustang in the fairlane? say 66 or 67? thanks bob

Not likely. The mustang shared it's chassis with the Falcon and Comet while the Fairlane and Meteor shared a different chassis. The Fairlane was available with a 260 in '63 which is physically the same diminsions as a 302. In '64, the Fairlane was available with the 289 and, IIRC, some came with a 4V 225HP version the 289 which had factory duals. It is likely that the H pipe for it would work if you can find it. The only problem is the likelyhood that the exhaust manifolds are different. If you can find one, a Hollanders manual for that vintage may get you enough info. Most salvage yards have the Hollanders manual but, may not have one that old unless they have been in business a long time. Unless this is a resto - and it obviously is not - you can probably have a good muffler shop make you a decent setup for less time, money and aggravation. Good resto reproductions are very expensive for this kind of thing.

You might also be able to get off-the-shelf components from most auto parts stores. I think the books go back that far. You can also look for mustang sites on the web. They might have better quality pipes. The problem is that most after-market exhaust parts are not stainless steel, so they will need to be replaced in a few years. You may be better off with either the pipes from the mustang shops or custom-made pipes.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

thanks! I appreciate your comments!1 bob