Exhaust under the hood, strange noises

I hear repetitive noises when I start the engine of my 2001 Ford Focus (manual). Lifting the hood, I can smell exhaust, lots of it. The noises go through the third gear, then really diminish in the 4th and
5th.
What can that be? Any clues before I show up @ the repair shop?
Thank you! Paniciu
"paniciu" wrote: 2001 Ford Focus (manual).
I hear repetitive noises when I start the engine. Lifting the hood, I can smell exhaust, lots of it. The noises go through the third gear, then really diminish in the 4th and 5th. What can that be? _________________________________________
The solution to any problem becomes evident once the symptoms are completely described. If the problem is described in as much detail as possible, an experienced mechanic will recognize it and will know the most probable causes.
An unusual noise is a symptom. It may be soft, loud, squealing, ringing or pounding, continuous, periodic, or intermittent. It may begin after some other auto service, an accident or a change in the weather. It may come from the wheels, the engine compartment or the undercarriage.
If symptoms are described in detail, a knowledgeable reader of alt.autos.ford may offer a solution.
Good luck.

check for exhaust leak
hurc ast