Explorer 2000 - Transmision Fluid Change

I am planning to drain and replace the transmission fluid and filter on my Explorer 2000 that has 5r55e 4 speed 4WD transmission in it, the vehicle has ~108, 000 miles on it and this is the first fluid change.

Any tips, notes of caution, warnings regarding this matter would be appreciated, this is my first transmission related DIY project.

Matt

Reply to
Netman

By way of experience I have become partial to going the whole route. Taking it to a lube place and having in flushed. Cheap compared to trans repair. My 97 Bird required it at about 70K (tranny shudder). I forget the stats but just draining only gets a percentage of the fluid.

Frank

Reply to
F. H.

I hear that the fluid inside the torque convertor does not drain by taking the pan off, a parts counter staffer at a Ford dealership told me that 'some' torque convertors have a plug, removal of which let the fluid inside the convertor drain, I do not know if his assertion is correct or not or if Ford 5r55e has such a plug or not.

In my case I am choosing to drain because this way I will get to replace the filter which is not possible if the tranny is only flushed, unless you also remove the pan, in which case these are two procedures instead of one.

I am draining and refilling only as routine maintenance and this would be the first time in the life of the tranny that fluid and filter are being replaced. I do not know how important it is to replace the filter as such, if it is not very important then I could go for a flush and fill procedure at a shop instead of my DIY drain and fill.

May be someone knowledgeable about these issues could enlighten us on these points.

Thanks in advance.

Matt ============================================================

|Netman wrote: |> I am planning to drain and replace the transmission fluid and filter on my |> Explorer 2000 that has 5r55e 4 speed 4WD transmission in it, the vehicle has |> ~108, 000 miles on it and this is the first fluid change. |> |> Any tips, notes of caution, warnings regarding this matter would be appreciated, |> this is my first transmission related DIY project. |> |> Matt | |By way of experience I have become partial to going the whole route. |Taking it to a lube place and having in flushed. Cheap compared to |Trans repair. My 97 Bird required it at about 70K (tranny shudder). I |forget the stats but just draining only gets a percentage of the fluid. | |Frank

Reply to
Netman

In light of the mileage on this transmision with the lack of service the original poster indicates, I'd be worried from the start....

Is there any noticeable concern that has him looking towards servicing the transmission? I see too many that wait until it is too late.... the trans doesn't nneed a service any more - it needs a repair...

FWIW, I used to be a big proponent of chemical flushing..... that was until too many suppliers started offering "secret sauces" that would change Dexron to whatever they desired... However, without the addition of either the flushing agent or the neutralizer, a flush machine works great at performing a fluid exchange. The machine is not strictly required, but a fluid exchange without one can be both messy and time consuming...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hi Jim:

Thanks for your response. I understand you know the automotive repair business very well, so I will listen very closely to what you would suggest.

No, there is not any noticeable concern that I am looking to address by changing the fluid, this is routine maintenance and Ford has suggested first fluid change at 100K for 5r55e, so I did not ignore much.

1- I understand drain and fill would be messy, but if only a flush machine is used then filter cannot be replaced, in your experience, would leaving the original filter in and doing a flush exchange be good enough in my situation ?

2- The other thing I wanted to confirm with you, is have you ever seen torque convertors with drain plugs, so as to drain fluid from them while doing a drain and exchange of fluid by dropping the pan ?

Kindly advise.

Matt

|In light of the mileage on this transmission with the lack of service the |original poster indicates, I'd be worried from the start.... | |Is there any noticeable concern that has him looking towards servicing the |transmission? I see too many that wait until it is too late.... the trans |doesn't nneed a service any more - it needs a repair... | |FWIW, I used to be a big proponent of chemical flushing..... that was until |too many suppliers started offering "secret sauces" that would change Dexron |to whatever they desired... However, without the addition of either the |flushing agent or the neutralizer, a flush machine works great at performing |a fluid exchange. The machine is not strictly required, but a fluid exchange |without one can be both messy and time consuming... |

Reply to
Netman

A lot of older vehicles, especially Fords, had drain plugs on the torque converter. Your 2000 Explorer does not.

Reply to
Kruse