Explorer engine life

Hi. I would like to buy a used explorer, somewhere between 1995 and 1998. Most of them have about 200,000 km (120,000 miles) on them. Does anyone
know what a typical engine life is for the explorer before it has to be rebuilt or replaced?
Thanks
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:01:06 -0400, "Silmarillion"

jesus loves ya
hurc ast
Where are you at? I know of a 1994 4X4 4.0 6 cylinder XLT in excellent condition. New heads, new EGR sensor, new mass airflow sensor, recently cleand injectors. Just under 90,000 miles. $3900 It is in Western Washington. email carl at snipped-for-privacy@ncplus.net
JimDavis wrote:

I'd be really suspect of a 94 that needed new heads and was not completely overhauled.
91s and early 92's had spontanious head cracking issues, after that they were solid. What happened to this engine?
JS
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I had a 98 Explorer with the 5.0 (302) v8. If well taken care of with regular oil changes I would expect 250,000 miles out of that engine. I doubt if some other things in this SUV would go that long like electronics, body rust, and other drive train items.
Silmarillion wrote:

Late 90s Explorers:
4.0 OHV + 4R55E = good engine, crap trans
4.0 SOHC + 5R55E = so-so engine, crap trans
5.0 V8 OHV + AODE/4R70 = solid engine thats slightly hungry for gas, very solid trans...
Expect to at a transmission overhaul at any moment after 100k miles on the A4LD. If you don't annihilate it, you can generally get an overhaul done with warranty for under $1500 total.
The V8 model seems to be good for 200k before anything expensive breaks.
Good luck!
JS