F-150 4.2 L REBUILT ENGINE WONT STAY STARTED

1997 FORD F-150 I HAD THE ORIGINAL 4.2 L ENGINE BORED OUT, RE-BUILT, REPLACED ALL THE SENSORS WITH NEW ONES, NEW WATER PUMP,CLEANED OUT THE FUEL TANK. REINSTALLED THE ENGINE. CRANKED IT UP WITH NO PROBLEM, RAN SMOOTH AS A SEWING MACHINE, OIL PRESSURE GOOD, NO NOISY LIFTERS, DROVE IT ABOUT 20 MILES WITH NO PROBLEM. BROUGHT IT BACK HOME, PARKED IN THE DRIVE WAY, ABOUT 10 MIN LATER TRIED TO CRANK AND IT WOULD NOT CRANK EASILY. FINALLY GOT IT CRANKED MY SON DROVE IT AROUND THE BLOCK, PARKED IT AND IT WOULD NOT START AT ALL. LATER, AFTER IT COOLED DOWN, IT WOULD START AGAIN. AFTER SITTING OVERNIGHT, WE DROVE IT DOWN THE ROAD ABOUT A MILE AND IT STALLED OUT AND WOULD NOT RESTART. THE TEMP GUAGE APPEARS TO NOT BE READING. THE ENGINE MAY BE OVERHEATED BUT THE COOLANT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE OVERLY HOT. NOW WHEN THE IGNITION SWITCH IS ENGAGED, A REPETITIVE CLICKING SOUND IS HEARD, BUT THE BATTERY GUAGE SHOWS WELL IN EXCESS OF 12V. ANY IDEAS OF WHERE I GO NEXT?
Reply to
Jim Chiles

The clicking noise is the starter solenoid. Usually mounted on the fender near the battery. Positive battery cable goes directly to it. Have the battery tested first of all. This is a classic Ford sign of a bad battery.

Reply to
max-income

as dor not staying running , has an F-150 got a crank sensor on it? They're normally great for mechanics to forget to put back on properly.. Then again, I'm English so I don't know jack about F-150s...

Doubt this helps.

Pete M

Reply to
Pete M

In addition to all the above mentioned items, I was also wondering if the starter originally had a heat shield and if so was it put back on when the engine was put back togather?

Reply to
Childfree Scott