f-150 change manual to automatic

anyone know if this is hard to do?

it is a 4wd.

i hear It is not as simple as a 2wd change over. but I would love to change it over to automatic

i would have to change the whole transmission right and cut a small hole in the floor to the gear box?

Reply to
Levon

Trade it!

Not kidding.... and I wont go into why you should do it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

And I MEAN trade the Truck!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"hard" is a relative term. Very involved and time consuming? Yes.

At a minimum you'll need to change:

Mounts flywheel/flex plate ECU (or flash the rom) Drive shafts Radiator, Cooling lines Floor pedals. install neutral safety switch Steering column Floor mat/carpeting Kick down linkage for the transmission. Speedo gear & cables Likely transfer case (can't recall if they're integral on those) probably starter. Possibly exhaust "Y" pipe/cat

etc, etc, etc,

Oh, you'll also need to have your vehicles details updated on the registration and have your insurance company notified that you have extensively modified the vehicle

you'll realize the other 10,000 items you need to change as you begin to work on it.

I did a manual to automatic change on a 1977 Duster years ago. and I had a complete donor car to scavenge from.

Like most other posters will say, buy another that has everything you want. It will cost less, work better and you can spend the next 3 years of weekends with your girlfriends instead of up to your armpits in rust and grease.

choice is.... entirely yours though

PS for those of you who would scream sacrilege for the work I did. It was a slant six with a 3 on the tree

Reply to
joe schmoe

WHO would want to do such a thing?! Me personally would love having manual shift 4x4, I prefer having exclusive control of the wheels with the touch of my foot.

Reply to
Adam

I did the manual to auto swap in my 88 diesel last year, it took 4 days from start to finish. all I had to change was the steering column. the rebuilt trans was $1200, transfer case rebuild was $450, steering column was $55, shift linkage was $25, and then there was other assorted things like the shift indicator, lines for the cooler, trans cooler, and flex plate. while it was apart, I also put in all new motor and trans mounts, and u-joints. total cost was around $2200

Reply to
tom