F150 broke

my 86 F150 acted odd on a trip. started missing like crazy. was a long way from home so I limped it for the hour drive(probably not good to do so)

got it home, found mousenest in air cleaner, replaced that and still would miss on 3 of the 6 cylinders. pulled plugs and found them covered in carbon. cleaned them up and still no luck. other clue is a enviromental device attached to the carb plate that has been rusted away for years is now becliching sooty smoke when it did not before(it pumped exhaust out but clean).

any clues? I know it is an 86, but i'd like to get it to work well enough to sell. ran great before this, and got great milage.

Reply to
Tater

I have a feeling there is mouse nest stuff (or mice) in the intake passages, decreasing the amount of air/fuel getting into the cylinders.

I would pull the air filter housing and look for mouse and mouse parts.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If there's a hole bigger than a dime, they can squeeze through. Find someone with a borescope and take a look, you may have to partially take apart the intake to get close enough.

Or get a shop vacuum and rig a chunk of small vinyl hose, and one of those flexible cable grabber tools, and go probing.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

no nest material inside the filter, just on the outside in the air cleaner, so I am assuming none go into the intakes. i'll give it another glance, but i am sure it isn't the issue.

I am thinking that maybe the cat got plugged when running overly rich because of the nest stuff plugging the filter, anyone with suggestions? possible that might be BS too because i dont know if the exhaust is still attached that far (it IS an 86)

Reply to
Tater