F350 Question 6.0 Diesel

Can a 4" exhaust cause your turbo to over heat ~ intercooler to go out and turbo line to explode?????

03' F350 Diesel 6.0
Reply to
Hoppe1

A tuner/chip/programmer sure can...

Reply to
351CJ

I don't have one of those.....never believed in them....Had enough power without trying to make it go faster....

Reply to
Hoppe1

Sounds a little extreme in that description. By "turbo line", are you referring to one of the CAC tubes or the oil line?

As far as the exhaust mods (and only the exhaust mods)... no. For "odd" failures, I have seen one turbo with a broken shaft... the turbine was too beat up to tell if the thing had gotten hot enough to straighten the fins but it was a "different" colour from what we're used to... this truck had the factory exhaust. I've seen CAC tubes blow off the engine end (both hot and cold side) - this is *usually* attributable to assembly without ensuring the surfaces are clean and dry or insufficient torque on the band clamps. Occasionally, we'll see a faulty VGT actuator or stuck turbocharger vanes that can result in an overboost... stuck vanes is the most common in our area and is a combination of poor quality fuel (a little bit) but mostly extended idling. Of course, this is also assuming the EGR valve is connected AND functioning properly (again, the largest problem with these is extended idling).

I can understand your frustration but your one sentence is a little skimpy for forming any meaningful opinion.

Early in the process, the programming crew came out with some bad patches for the PCM software... seemed like the flash would fix one concern and create two new ones to replace it. The latest flash is good and addresses some EgR and cold start/run issues.

The biggest downside of big pipes is that they can crowd an already crowed area making some service or repair operations more difficult than they need to be. Also, some dealers have a zero modification tolerance... some don't mind pipes and properly installed guages... I understand there are even some that turn a blind eye to any and all mods - as long as truck and mod were both purchased from them.

Ford Senior Tech - Diesel Certified.

Reply to
Jim Warman

You lucky bast***

:-)

Reply to
johanb

NO!!!!

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thank you so very much for info.....

I was vague as I was trying to make since as to what Supervisor had to say.....

Anyway...

1st - No power and black smoke ---replaced EGR valve and Flashed.

2nd - Blew turbo line on back of motor on turbo itself..melted hole in protective mat on hood. -----replaced line and replaced mat.

3rd - Blows black smoke so severe from dealer that I got pulled over by Highway Patrol. ---- replace EGR valve.

4th - Towed 18' toyhauler w/ 2 125 motorcycles (small load) over Donner Summit --- max speed 45 mph...when I took foot off of accelerator I heard a gasping sound(almost as if something was collapsing)... black smoke....heard vacuum sound all of a sudden....engine got hot instantly....barely got to side of road and motor shut down-----Replaced EGR valve and said that everything was good. No codes showed engine got hot...

5th - Could not accelerate onto highway...no power...black smoke... makes gasping sound when I take foot off of accelerator. Took to Another Dealership ---- They replaced EGR and intercooler gasgets.

6th - Got out of shop and towed same trailer over same road.... same thing....no power...black smoke...gasping noise....THEN I heard a zzziiiinnnngggg sound.... severe black smoke.....instant hot engine.....motor stalled instantly.... -----They replaced EGR valve and intercooler....AGAIN.. no code for over heat...Also in small print on back page that they will not honor warrantee anymore for turbo or intercooler due to 4" exhaust causing turbo to overheat....

7th - It still smokes and sound like a vacuum P/S behind radiator...

I have 26,000 miles and installed 4" magnaflo exhaust the day I purchased it from a reputable shop. Never had any problem until the past 2.5 months. Now no one knows what is going on and it's just easier to say that it's the exhaust fault...When asked why it has never caused problems before...they say "luck"...

What do I do now.... I am afraid to drive it.... PLEASE HELP....

Reply to
Hoppe1

Could the gasping sound be a colasped converter???? Could this be causing some of the issues too??? I've been getting different opinions and that did come up.

Reply to
Hoppe1

What gasping sound... you haven't mentioned that.... when does it occur? Are there any other symptoms? What parts did the dealer replace? What were the symptoms before these parts were replaced? These are extremely complicated trucks and require much more info than is being offered to even come up with an educated guess.

Reply to
Jim Warman