F450 with Service Body question

I'm looking at a 2001 F450 with a service body on it (auto with a 7.3l powerstroke and about 180,000 miles). Are there any known problems with that year truck and also hauling a heavy steel service body around?

Thanks

Reply to
New World

The 7.3 was aurguable one of the best PS's Ford ever used. As with any hi mileage truck, how it was used and service plays a very large roll in how much life it has in it. The only possible weak link here (if it has been taken care of properly) is tranny as they tend to not last near as long as engine between overhauls.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

That truck has clocked something on the order of 26,000 miles per year, this is a very high number.

I'm with SnoMan on this, the remaining life is dependent on prior service. This truck should be offered at a steep discount over other similar trucks with fewer miles.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

How much does the bed weigh? Which cab does it have? I believe that the 2001 Ford Super Duty F-450 has a 15,000# GVWR (5400 front/11,000 rear), springs (5400 front/11,000 rear), axles (6000 front/11,000 rear)

I know many new large service body F-450/F-550 trucks around here actually get their springs "upgraded" as part of the their body upfit. A friend drives a 2006 F-550 standard cab 2x4 with big service body and crane, that weighs somewhere around 19,000-20,000 pounds every day.

My 2005 F-450 4x4 (absolutely trouble free 6.0 liter turbo diesel) weighs about 10,000 pounds with a Pro-tech aluminum flatbed on it. The factory GVWR is 16,000 pounds. I regularly have occasion to carry 8,000 pounds. My F-450 handles that task with ease.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody