Failed Mass auto inspection

I am looking for a computer for a 1998 Escort. Having a hard time finding the part on the Web. Anyone know a site where I can get the part. The part is labled f8CF-12A650-MC.

Thanks John

Reply to
John Perry

Not sure about the web, but there are more than 150 auto salvage yards in the State of Massachusetts. Most of us are listed in the yellow pages.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

Are you sure that the concern is the PCM? It is rare that there is the need to replace these units. I'd want to be sure that this is, indded the problem before replacing it on a guess..... just a little friendly advice...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Might I ask why? Are you thinking that's the reason you failed an emissions test? Bob

Reply to
Bob

I tried the junk yards. Hard part to find at the junk yard. I am sure Ford would have it but I was hoping to get a discounted part on the Web.

My computer is working, it passes if they stick the wand in the tailpipe. But Mass reads the codes from the computer now, no more wand, and the tester it seems can not communicate with the computer.

This actually failed several years back when Ford tried to update the computer with new firmware because of a recall, it could not be downloaded. I should have pushed back more at the time.

John

Reply to
John Perry

Here's 6 in New England alone:

1998 Engine Computer Ford Escort 2.0L,5MT,CHECK ID 23858 $100 Linder's Inc. USA-MA(Worcester) 1-800-521-8000

1998 Engine Computer Ford Escort F8CF-MC LMS40716 $95 GreenLeaf MA Leominster USA-MA(Leominster) 1-800-343-6122

1998 Engine Computer Ford Escort F8CF-12A650-MC W8364 $60 Colony Used Auto Parts USA-NH(Rochester) 1-800-439-6101

1998 Engine Computer Ford Escort MT 2.0L F8CF 12A650-MC 050221 $40 Alberts Used Auto Parts USA-CT(Thomaston) 1-800-560-0760

1998 Engine Computer Ford Escort 1-98,CHK ID 05-162 $40 Colony Used Auto Parts USA-NH(Rochester) 1-800-439-6101

1998 Engine Computer Ford Escort RUNNING 040023 $Call North Anson Recycling USA-ME(North-Anson) 1-877-721-7195

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I'm not sure what a used PCM will set you back. If the cost is significant, you may want to ensure that all the wires to the DLC have continuity to wherever they go. It may sound like a daunting task but, IIRC, less than half the pins on the 16 pin DLC are actually used and even less than that are required for PCM network communication.

You can start by looking for pushed out pins in any connectors.

I'm off to school tomorrow night for three days so it will be difficult for me to find time to write up a pin out (and my job prohibits me from doing a cut and paste on shop manual content)... this may be a time where an AllData subscription might help you.

As an afterthought.... Blue Streak (Standard Motor Products) used to offer a reconditioning service. I'm not sure if they still do but it's worth a look. I only tried them once and was disappointed but that may be the result of the nature of the concern I was addressing.

HTH

downloaded.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I got one from Alberts Used Auto Parts USA-CT. It was the computer. Thanks for everyone help.

John

Reply to
John Perry