false "low coolant level" indication: 2002 Taurus SEL wagon

I got the car used, with about 95,000 km on it. Has been working good, but keep getting the "low coolant level" light come on ... even though the level
if up to the mark ... actually now a bit above it, since I tried adding a bit of coolant to see if that would solve the problem ... it seemed to "fix" it for a while ... maybe that was an illusion. On starting up these days, the light goes off ... but with backing out of the parking spot, the light comes back on.
Anybody else have this problem?
-RS-

for a little while anyway.
My '96 bird does this all the time. I just ignore it.

Sounds like the answer is to just keep an eye on the coolant reservoir tank's REAL level ... and not bother changing the sensor unless I have nothing better to do with my money.
-RS-

Man! I got ripped off. The check coolant light came on. A mechanic told me that my radiator leaked and need to be replaced. So, I paid about $400 bucks for that. I should have known that it was just a faulty sensor.

Did I mentioned that it was "Midas"?

Well, it is *possible* that you did have a leaking radiator and actually were low on fluid and that the warning lamp was working exactly as it is supposed to. That said, Midas/meinke and the rest have, in my experience, usually done crappy work.
me too on my '90.. replaced it, still did it a while, then just kinda went away eventually.. weird but no biggie.. only time it really bugged me was before I got around to fixing the broken temp sensor.. that made me nervous..

Drain coolant until radiator is only half full, then run as normal. The light will stay off