Fast idle too high on new Ford Escape???

My wife and I recently purchased a 2003 Ford Escape which we love. It's a V6, FWD, automatic. We are wondering about the fast idle circuitry, however. When we first start this car in the morning, it
revs up to 2600 RPM for a few seconds before gradually working its way down to 1000 RMP or so. Isn't 2600 RMP too high for a fast idle? On subsequent starts, it revs up to 2000-2200 RPM which still seems high. We also have a 2000 Ford Explorer V8 and that only revs to about 1600 RPM when cold.
Thanks, -Scott
You gotta take into account that it only has 6 cylinders, so it will need to rev higher to keep running. My 289 happily idles smooth at ~500 RPM, whereas my mom's V6 idles at ~800 RPM, and my dad's 4 cyl idles around 900-1000 IIRC and is still a little rough. If you are worried you should call Ford and ask if this is normal behavior. I would say just keep up with basic maintenance and don't worry about it.
For one reason or another Ford programmed the computer to make the cars cold idle obscenely high, probably a good bit higher than is needed for a given temperature. I have my 289's cold idle set at ~600 RPM and it'll start and drive away instantly without a fuss when the temperature is below freezing... Though I normally let it warm up a bit when it's cold out. So, call Ford if you are worried... See what they have to say. If it's a problem it may be a simple as flashing the computers EEPROM.

I think that's too high.. take it into service. Ask to check one like it on the lot... see if it does the same.
V6's usually DO idle at about 850 rpm, warm.
Scott Duncan opined in