Fiesta stiff gearbox

Fiesta Zetec 1.4 2003.
Is it just me, or are they all like that? I don't know whether something's gradually breaking, or if my driving's getting worse; but my gearbox is
getting very reluctant to go into 1st or 2nd. You can only go into first if you are completely stationary, which makes things difficult for those tight junctions where second is just too high. Similar thing going down into second; you need to be going very slow, or it just won't engage. Even going up into second feels stiff. The clutch seems nice and free. Hopefully, it will be something simple like the cable needs adjusting, but could it be something else?
Lee.
first thing id check is the oil level in the trans,
Okay, will do.