Fiesta Zetec

My 1994 Fiesta Zetec 1.6 Si will not spark. I have changed the engine. The old engine worked, but since I changed, there is no spark. It has the E-DIS ignition.
As far as I can tell, all the connections are put on right. I got the old engine from a breakers online, but I cant see that it would make any difference, it should still spark as the electronics are from the old engine anyway. I am at a loss to why it wont spark. I MUST have missed something.
Pete opined in

E-Dis? Is that a distributor ign ?
Do you have power to the coil with key on?
have you sent the old one back? If not, remove the dist from it and connect to harness and spin it.
The ignition is the distributorless ignition system.