Fiesta Zetec washer question.

As far as I can tell, there is only one washer pump in my 03 Fiesta Zetec, and that seems to have only two wires going to it. So how can it individually wash front and back screens? Does it rotate in one direction for front, and the other direction for rear?

Ta.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

Are there separate tanks? If so, then there are almost certainly separate pumps. The best way is to simply run each one, and listen to where the sound is coming from.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Hi Andy. There is only one tank, and only one pump. The wiring diagram in my Haynes manual also shows only one. The wiring diagram seems to indicate that activating the front wash sends power to the pump in one direction, while selecting the rear wash sends power (down the same two wires) in the reverse direction.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

Quite right... The pump turns one direction for the front washers and the opposite direction for the rear.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks, Jim. Funny thing is, the rear washer works, but the front doesn't even spin. Do you think it's possible that there is something wrong with the pump that would prevent it turning the right way to make the front washer work? I notice that if the rear washer is working, then if I press the button for the front washer, then the rear one stops. Looking at the wiring diagram, I can understand how this would happen (they're a bit like upstairs/downstairs double-pole lighting switches), so I guess that the button is still working. If there are two motors in the same pump, then one could be broken, but if it's the same motor spinning in two directions, then it's a bit more confusing.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

My guess is that there is a problem with the switch. And easy way to test this is measure the voltage at the pump when the switch is on for the rear and the front. You should have the same voltage, but opposite polarity.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It is the button (I think). I discovered that if you press it hard, then the washer works. Strangely, if the switch is pulled back to activate the rear washer, then only a light press of the button is sufficient to stop the rear washer. I guess something needs cleaning inside that switch assembly.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot