Finding codes?

Hi all,
I have an '87 T-Bird, 3.8V6, auto. It has the digital speedometer.
What steps do I take to find the diagnostic codes on this car? I had an '84 Caddy before this (six-plus years ago) and it was easy to pull
up the codes. Nothing in the owner's manual discusses this.
I appreciate any help anyone can offer me!
Thanks!
Gerri! With a red T-Bird named "Baby".
if it's like my '90 with the same stuff, you have to use a code scanner.. I know, GMs were so much easier.. luckily, you don't need an expensive one, in fact I believe they run around 35 bucks at wall mart.. I myself was able to borrow one.. with the scanner, you can either count the flashes on the tool, or on the check engine light just as you would a gm.. Just be sure to follow the testing procedure to a T that's in the book that comes with it, there are different tests for different problems (engine off,key on, engine running,key on, etc.), and things you need to perform (wide open throttle) during a specific point in the test.

To read trouble codes or run on-demand diagnostics on an EECIV vehicle (like your '87 T-Bird), all you need is a paper clip and possibly a simple $1.50 12V test light. And the latter only if your car does not have a 'check-engine' light... Wish life was that simple with my '98 OBDII Explorer!
The details how to go about it are in many books and websites. 'Dalidesign.com' used to be the best source, but seems that they went commercial. The following link will take you to something similar:
http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html

"Gerri" wrote

http://www3.telus.net/neatcrap/eec4.gif
C'mon by and check us out... we'll leave the light on: http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php
jeezus I wish I would have known that was possible.. had to go through alot of trouble to get that scantool, and it looked complex enough inside to support the need for it.. kept saying to myself, "wish I could just use a paperclip like my chevy"..lol