First oil change - non-recreational?

I've been reading the comments on the "new" recommended oil change intervals here and although I've always been a strong believer in the 3000 mile (5000 km up here in the great white north) change interval, this old dog can certainly be taught new tricks.

What I was wondering now was what the general opinion might be on a new car's first oil change (God forbid I should say "break in" oil change). I've got a brand new Fusion and the dealer told me (confirmed in the maintenance book) the initial oil change should be at 8000 km (5000 miles). Since I'm already having a hard time shaking that old school approach to oil changes, imagine my difficulty swallowing the advice that I can drive 8000 km before changing out the oil for the very first time - especially when that is 3000 more than what I've done for a "normal" change interval for all my automotive life.

My instincts are screaming that by its first 8000 km, that car should have already had at least two changes. I will try very hard to ignore those instincts and follow the dealer/manufacturer's advice, but I was wondering what you folks thought.

"The times they are a changin'"

W.

Reply to
Blank Flange

Just because you CAN go to 8000 KM does not mean you MUST.

Regardless what ANYBODY on this group says, changing the oil in your new Fusion at 5000KM intervals will never do any harm.

DON"T do the first oil change at 1000Km like used to be standard procedure though.

The surface finishes on the moving parts of todays engines are FAR more uniform than they used to be, so there is a lot less actual "break-in" going on, and precious little "metal bits" deposited in that first oil dump.

Reply to
clare

In spite of what anybody else tells you, the only way for manufacturers to make rings seat in cylinders is to leave them a little rough.

So change your oil and filter at 500 miles the first time, look at all the metal crap in your oil, be glad it isnt going through your motor every

30 seconds or so.

I bought a new 08 and believe me, there is still lots of metal in the oil at 500 or 600 miles.

Dick Cheney

Actually, 1000 km was exactly what I had in mind for an initial change... Why do you recommend against that and when would you recommend the initial oil change take place?

W.

Reply to
Blank Flange

I'd say 2000km or 2 months for the "break-in oil", then 5000-8000 km or 4 months thereafter - depending on temperature and other conditions.

Reply to
clare

Wrong: It wastes resources (oil and filter), time, money and makes a small risk that the person doing the oil change will do something stupid, like leaving the oil plug out, using the wrong filter or putting it on wrong, putting in too little oil, messing up the drain plug (e.g., cross-threading it).

And it wastes bandwidth with stupid comments.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

I cut the filter open on one of my new cars and there was nothing on it. Certainly not a bunch of metal bits. And if there were any metal bits, the filter would have caught them, that's what a filter does.

There is NO reason to change the oil any sooner then the normal oil change interval for the first change other then to feel good. If it makes some one feel good then by all means do it, it's your money, but you are wasting your money.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

YOU just go ahead and do whatever thick-skulled thing you want, I am not suggesting that YOU should do this, I am suggesting that the original poster, who may be capable of reasoning, change his.

You just go ahead and do whatever you want, feel free to ignore my posts.

Dick Cheney

It's not you my comments are addressed to, it's others who your comments might cause to think their new engines and filters are full of crap. It just isn't so. If there is metal particles they will be filtered out the first time they get sucked up by the oil pump and sent to the filter. If it was a realistic concern the car makers would require you to change the oil every 500 miles for the first 1500 miles to protect themselves from damage during the warranty. They don't do that because it's not a problem even when they provide a warranty for 60K to 100K or even a lifetime warranty on the engine.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If anyone wants to change their oil before they need to, have at it... Sadly, some owners may choose to finance this kind of waste by purchasing lower quality products. There is no compelling reason for changing oil more often that the "severe service" recommendations...

Not even the first change.

Isn't it odd that so many advise regarding mileage... but so few observe elapsed time recommendations.

Reply to
Jim Warman

There is no longer any such thing as "break in oil"...

However, on reflection, one consideration for the first oil change might be the elapsed time from when the car was built until the first oil change. During this time, the car is subject to very short periods of running as it is loaded, unloaded, marshalled around freightyards, shipped to the dealer, moved around his lot... currently, all new Ford gas engines ship with a "high idle" strategy in the PCM to reduce the possibility of spark plug fouling...

Perhaps an early first change may not be a bad thing... but not for the reasons imagined...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Interesting... Does this idle strategy time out or is something done during PDI to lower the idle?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Either or... it can be programmed out or it will time out...(IIRC, something like 5 miles of consecutive driving).

The high idle strategy has been with us for a few years now and shouldn't be confused with an even newer accessory delay strategy that times out after 50 miles if it isn't "turned off".

Reply to
Jim Warman

I also read that the 3000 mile oil change was invented by every quick lube place on the planet, and most of us only have to change oil every 5000 miles.

Reply to
Sheldon

how's this for a variation:

have had my '06 'stang GT for 4 yrs, 2 months now......and it has accumulated all of 1800 miles. in other words, around 400 miles a year.

discussed my intended use with the friendly local dealer.....who insisted that I had to change the oil & filter every 6 months or the warranty would be voided. so it was changed every 200 miles or so for the first year and a half until I decided there was nothing wrong with the car that would need warranty work .... and that the oil changes were probably doing more harm than good.

Reply to
Jim Click

Thanks Jim. Reminds me of the early 80s Oldsmobiles that came with a jumper plug in the ALDL, same reason, to help keep the spark plugs from fouling as the cars were jockeyed around the storage lots and dealerships.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

i have another question... how many new car mfgs are recomending intervals for synthetic oils?

Reply to
Picasso

All of them.... they recommend the same interval as for conventional oils....

Reply to
Jim Warman

The insidious part about failures related to lubricants.... you can't tell that there will be a failure until after it happens...

You change your oil according to your schedule... your engine still runs.... I could tell you about what I have seen.... but YOUR engine still runs ... I have seen many engines that ran up until they wouldn't run anymore... Yours still runs. You can do anything you want to... but when they ask for oil change records.....

FWIW... you appear to expect the "wrong" oil to give an instant catastrophic failure... ain't gonna happen... You could (if you were an idiot) fill your crankcase with water and be amazed as to how far you could go before the thing blew up..

The only person you are fooling is you....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Not so sure of that. Most of the new cars all use synthetic or "blended" oils that probably add to the long periods between oil changes. The synthetics and blends are also cost effective if you don't change oil as often as you do with standard oil.

Reply to
Sheldon