Fix it or junk it?

My 87 Tempo needs work again. I know it needs a throttle position sensor. Probably needs a new idle sensor and potentiometer. Air conditioning has been out for 5 years. Needs tires and is close to
needing a brake job. Six months ago put in a new radiator. Three months ago a new ignition module and complete tune up. Two months ago all the belts were changed including a new serpantine. It has 166,000 miles on it a transmission fluid leak from the tranny seal and the power steering leaks. What do you think? Is this worth putting any more money into? I bought this car new and I'd really like to get my monies worth out of it. Comments please. Ps: The car still looks pretty decent.
Donnie Shortpants wrote: Is this worth putting any more money

This is always a conundrum. When to stop fixing.
I had a van and after 2000 worth of repairs I said enough and got a new one. I'm still paying for it, and have had to make some repairs that were not warranty covered. 2000 worth of repairs is < 4 months payments now.
Your car is only 7 years old. Can't really mention tires or breaks they are always being bought. As long as the body is fine you can even scour a wrecking yard for some pieces.
The repairs you make on everything you mentioned ought not to be more than "3-4 payments worth." The car has already depreciated 'as much as it can' whereas you will be on the losing side with a new one for 4 more years; & new isn't always reliable. So its warranty covered - is your time and inconvenience covered?
gkw
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:17:13 -0400, "fraser233(nospam)"

I think you may have misread his model year. A Tempo this old is hardly worth the tow bill to get rid of it in my neck of the woods. The last one I had cost me $75 to get it taken away and it still ran. I would 'uv paid more but, the guy was a sucker.

fraser233(nospam) wrote:

Um - 17 years old. I say it's time for a replacement. Maybe a 6-7 year old car.

You'd get another 10 years out of it!
Donnie Shortpants wrote:

in 1993 do i would not have to pay insurance for three cars after buying the wife a new taurus in 93... or i would still be using the old datsun pickup... just keep putting a little money into the car as its cheaper then paying a note on a new car that will also be needing parts in no time...
Donnie Shortpants wrote:

my brother's Tempo (1989, or 90) blew up at 150,000 or so
I would say you GOT your money's worth.
after the nearly 20 years of service you've gotten out of it, you HAVE gotten your monies worth.. This car doesn't owe you anything. Now all you need to do is these few steps...
1) Get into your car, close the door, put the ignition to accessory, turn on some light music at a low volume.
2) Explain to her (him? whatever sex you prefer to consider your car) that it's been a good run, and it's time to go to the great garage in the sky.
3) Start the car, take a nice, long, cruise, end your cruise in front of the local auto wreckers.
4) ask the boys at the wreckers if they'd be kind enough to give you a drive back home. most will.
5) DON'T stay to watch them crush the car, it'll hurt.....
Cheers

Its cheaper to fix this one than buy a new one. Its up to you if you want a new one or not.................TPS is probably about $30. What is an idle sensor? If money is the only issue then fix the poor thing, if not.................BTW, if it runs you should be able to get at least a couple hundred bucks for it......

"PAID FOR" is such a sweet term! If _you_ can do the work that needs to be done on the vehicle, I'd say keep it. The lifespan of a vehicle is wholly dependent upon maintenance. If it's maintained properly, most any vehicle can last a very long time. You can probably fix everything you mentioned for $500: 4 tires, 4-wheel brake job, fix AC, and replace what electrical things that prove to be faulty.
I drove my '81F100 off the lot for $10K back then. To replace it today would cost close to $25K, but I've maintained it and the truck runs as good as it ever did. Just replaced 4 tires for $125. A recent 4-wheel brake job cost $.99(package of disk lube), since I have always replaced with parts that had a lifetime warranty. Recently replaced 4 tie-rods for free and spent $45 for an alignment. The $10K I bought it for in '81 was a very good 'spend' and the truck has always gotten me from point A to point B and back, so I'm happy......it sure could use a paint job though. Replacement parts are still available for it, so it keeps on truckin'.
Dave S(Texas)
Donnie Shortpants wrote:

"O." Tempo, GEO,Yugo, Fuego, Alero, Pinto........ See the trend??????? Ditch it!
Jealous 'cause you've never been laid in one??

it'll keep gobbling your cash to keep it running. just my opinion

If your engine and body are still good on the Tempo I'd get an estimate as to what it would cost to fix it up. I loved my 88 Tempo ...for well over 200,000 miles and no major work on engine or trans. except for the leaks...which only cost $400. to fix and I'm sure it included more than just the leaks. It's cheaper to insure and a lot cheaper than a new car...Good luck in deciding. Linda