fixing belt squeek with Comet

Hi!
I have a belt squeek on my 95 Taurus only when it's wet. A mechanic inspected it and said it's fine. I have heard of a possibility to clean the
belt by putting some Comet on it. Is this a plausable solution? Any suggestions, coments, pros and cons?
Thanks!
esefers wrote:

stop the squeak will only wear off anyways .. besides does comet not disovle in water?
Are you totally sure it's the belt and not a shaft?
wrote:

Spike 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address
No, I'm not sure. I just assumed it's the belt. How to know what sqeeks? I have heard that Comet cleans off the oil and other junk that might be on the belt and causes the squeak, making the belt to slip. Is that true? E

Never heard of anyone using Comet for that. But, a lot of people never heard of gapping points with the foil wrapper from a stick of gum, either.
So, open the hood, and pour some water over the belt. (watch out for spray : ) You should know soon enough. On the other hand, if it's a shaft, it may be squeaking all the time but makes far more racket when wet. Check the tension, and inspect the belt for wear spots.