flywheel gear

hello all ' anyone know how hard it is to put a ring gear on a manual shift flywheel ? it's off of an 86 aerostar with a 2.3 4 cylinder. will propane get it
hot enough or do i have to use aceteline ? thanks ' harry
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:52:15 GMT, "Harry De Witt"

You'll need a healthy torch and a large hammer. You can use a large hammer and a cold chisel to split the old one and release it. Hold the chisel with vise grips and a 10 lb hammer is better.
lugnut wrote:

I remember doing the job on an MGB flywheel. I put the ring gear in the oven, with broiler and main element on max, and had the flywheel in the freezer overnight. Dropped the ring gear on the flywheel, slick as can be, works fine lasts a long time... YMMV.
You might make the old gear come off easier by drilling a hole through it before attacking it with a chisel, which is what I did, again, YMMV.
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:01:57 -0500, Mark Olson

I used that method on a couple. The process is for those aming us who can get by without instant gratification. Besides, every grease monkey likes a hot wrench every now and again. If the OP has a freezer and a large enough oven to take the gear up aroung 450 deg/f, it should work great. The main thing to remember is to use pliers to handle it and be ready to work fast as the temperatures equalize rapidy once they touch.
thanks to all who replied. hope i to can give some great ideas in return someday. and that is a great idea that you people posted.
Harry De Witt wrote:

Maybe with four. Aceteline, on the other hand works, one torch, just fine. My freezer isn't big enough. I like the idea though.