Focus 'hesitation'

Hey all, I have a 2000 focus that has an infrequent 'hesitation' on acceleration. The 2 times I've really noticed it, 1x was on a circular off-ramp and
when I gave it the gas, it felt like the timing belt had broken! The radio was on, so I truly can't say whether the engine cut off or if it just was starved for gas. The 2nd time was last night on an on ramp... and I rounded the curve I gave it pretty heavy gas and it would accelerate, have a 'dead' space (the hesitation) and repeat about 3 times, each lasting about a second, then it seemed to 'catch' itself and power on. The ONE factor that seems to be exactly the same is that the car both times had about 1/4 tank of gas.
It's an SE with (obviously) the base engine.
Any thoughts? It's got about 45k on the odo., and I hate to take it somewhere without a thought as to what it might be! J

From the armchair, I would take a look at the fuel pump, they seem to be a high failure item. I can't say for sure if the pump is covered under an extended warrantee.
Bill
Berkshire Bill wrote:

Yep, almost certainly it is the fuel pump, Ford has some boilerplate text that they use to describe the failure mode and your description of the symptoms fits it to a 'T'.
There's a very good chance is it covered under a special extended warranty, call or go to your nearest Ford dealer and see.

Thank you all! I had a Jeep Cherokee that had similar symptoms, but still different enough to make me question if it was the FP. The Jeep had to really heat up before it would start to mess up. The Ford will do it after only a few minutes of driving. Thanks again, will call today! Jon
I had a similar situation on an old Saturn I used to have. It turned out that one of the spark plugs was fouled and was not firing. So when trying to accelerate it was like a 3 cylinder car. With the A/C on full blast, there wasn't much power to go so it was really sluggish. Worth a check - a lot easier than trying to get to the fuel pump.
Jon R Patrick wrote:

If you Focus on hesitation then thats what you get. If you dont Focus on it, then it will go away.

done it on turns at a 1/4 tank so far right? Could be it doesn't have 1/4 tank even though it says so....

The mileage on those tanks was well below what would have been a 'concern' level. Say, if I could get 200+ miles on a tank before I normally fill up, I was at about 150. So, I don't think it was that.
Besides, today I came to a stop, and the engine darn near cut off before it 'caught' itself.
It's going to the dealer Tuesday morning.