Focus - need info pretty quick

Hey all,

I just recently (tonight) drove a Focus and I absolutely LOVED it. I know about all the recalls and all, but the family member's who've had Fords before have all had EXCELLENT service.

This post, however, is about gas mileage. The focus is listed as 16/35, and my biggest concern is excellent gas mileage -- mostly in the city. Nope, 16mpg doesn't quite excite me.

I wanted to hear back from Focus owners (please) on your experiences with the mileage you're getting, as well as any other opinons you may have.

I'll be making my decision this weekend. Take care, and feel free to email me! Jon snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Jon Patrick

Pretty sure that should be 26/35.

Reply to
Stephan Mynarkiewicz

The EPA CAFE guide list the following for the '03 Focus

A-4 2V at 27/33 A-4 4V at 25/31 M-5 2V at 27/36 M-5 4V at 26/34

mike hunt

Stephan Mynarkiewicz wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about fueleconomy.gov..

However, I was wondering if, from other *owners*, whether the EPA estimates are reasonable in the real world.

Thanks again.

Jon

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com:

Reply to
Jon Patrick

I had a 2000 ZX3 5 spd. The lowest I've ever gotten was 28mpg. I'd usually get 29-32 range. On a couple highway trips it hit 36 in both cases. The 2000 had the bulk of the recalls and the 2001 had some. The 2002 and 2003 had no recalls, I think. Some 04s get a Duratec 2.3L engine with similar mpg, low emissions and more horsepower.

I did not have any problems outside of the recalls. I traded it in six weeks ago because I wanted a Mustang GT. John

Reply to
jriegle

There are way too many variables to give you a good guess. Depends on how you drive, terrain, traffic, etc. I'd recommend you look up the economy numbers for your current vehicle, and compare it to what you are getting. Your Focus would get roughly the same percentage higher or lower as your current car. Of course, since the Focus is probably in much better tune, I'd call that guess a minimum.

Reply to
John Alt

I'd honestly consdier a Civic, Neon, or Sentra before a Focus. As for the 15 mpg - that's a typo. 25.

What gets me is the horrible and completely unuseable interior of all Ford products. Only GM does worse. The Sentra SE-R, otoh, is a powerful little car with great reliability AND features. More power, better mileage, and better handling.

Civics - well, they are what they are - good little cars with no real problems.

Not a fan of the Echo, though - feels too cheap and underpowered for my tastes. Small as well - feels cramped inside.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in > What gets me is the horrible and completely unuseable interior

I drive a Maxima, and can vouch that the Focus interior is GREAT compared to the competition. The vehicle as a whole has a very tight German feel to it, very comparable to the Jetta I used to own. I regularly rent them when I go on business trips, I wouldn't hesisitate to recommend one to a friend (I have before). The Sentra SE-R is much more expensive than the Focus, the cars aren't really in the same league. Unless he's talking about buying the SVT, of course.

Reply to
Rich

You hit the nail on the head with the how you drive, terrain, traffic, etc. My one son owned a Focus 2dr 5 speed for his long daily commute to work over mountainous country. He had the opportunity to ge into a bigger car pool if he had a car that could hold another driver/rider. He bought a Mercury Grand Marquis V8. His average mileage only dropped 5 MPG less than making the same trip with the 4cy engine.

mike hunt

John Alt wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt

I had a 1989 4cyl Probe (2.2L I4) with automatic, back in the early/mid

90s.. I averaged 35mpg on the interstate, and 30mpg everyday driving... I lived in "the boonies" then, but I was also a teen and drove like one.. hard. I also had a '91 Mazda MX-6 (same engine as the probe, but was a 5speed manual) a few years later, I used it on a paper route for about 2 years, and got about 25-30mpg on the route (just over 75miles a night, stop and go the whole way..)

Then, when it burned (literally..) I bought the Taurus (3.8L V6, auto).. and it only got about 10-15mpg on the paper route. Which is lower than the EPA's indications.

Now, the Taurus averages around 20mpg in everyday driving since leaving the paper back in 2001, which is closer to the EPAs.. It would probably get better mileage if the tranny wasn't basically shot, and the rear end wasn't warped.. (thats what happens when ya get sideswiped by an uninsured motorist.. only had liability... oh well. :/ )

Chuck

Reply to
Zex0s

I'd have to agree with that statement. I was very impressed with the Focus the first time I drove it. Before then I was all for the Civic, but the Focus is much more solid and refined, handles better, and has more power (not sure of the specification, but it sure felt that way).

I had always believed that Toyota and Honda made the best cars, but that's not true anymore. Their quality and reliability ratings are going downhill FAST. My next car will most likely be an American car.

Reply to
Mike S

Reply to
FordBlueBlood

Thanks everyone for their replies. I think I've decided, and I'm probably going to be trading in my Heap for a Focus tomorrow night.

Take car,e Jon

"FordBlueBlood" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Jon Patrick

One bit of advice, though - the little wagon is pretty nice, but in any case, consider the better engine. You loose sometihng like 1-2 mpg for a bit HP increase.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

"Jon Patrick" wrote

If it's the twin-turbo Heap GTX, I'd keep it. It'll be a classic some day.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

"MasterBlaster" day.

No, it's the very rare Heap Cherokee.:)

Reply to
Jon Patrick

So, for any who've been paying attention.

I went to the dealer tonight to buy the Focus. I drove it, and there seemed to be a bit too much wind and road noise... seems the driver window was a bit off track. One IOU, the 30 day warranty, and I was purchasing an extended warranty anyway... no worries. Well, that wasn't the car I went there for, but the 2nd one they had on the lot (liked the tan interior better than the grey). Then, they printed out our paperwork wrong and had to reprint. Of course, that meant getting another approval... so, my quick handle-as-much-as-possible-over-the-phone deal still ended up taking 2 hours.

SOOO, as I get in the focus, my son safely strapped in his seat, all my sh** transferred out of the Jeep into my new, fully gassed Focus, I look teary-eyed over at my jeep, put it in drive, go to roll up the (power) driver's window.

Nothing. Yep, it went down and stayed there.

I've got a loaner Taurus (yuck) right now. I'll be picking up my focus on Monday... :(

Not an auspicious start.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Patrick

EPA mileage numbers are derived from an emissions compliance test that are intentionally adjusted by multipliers to make them more "realistic," but in real life the city figure will be roughly (very roughly) 1/3 lower, the highway figure 1/3 higher, but not for hybrids.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Reply to
FordBlueBlood

It depends. I've seen 2-3 year extensions on certain models as low as 3-400 dollars, which is the price of a single computer module these days(or pretty close to it).

IMO, if you plan to run it into the ground, an extended warranty if CHEAP, is good, especially if you only drive 8-12K a year like I do. 10 year/100K warranty on the drivetrain alone is worth a free transmission in that time in most cases, or a new engine if the timing chain breaks at 55K or so.

For me, ten years IS 100K miles - almost exactly - so it is worth considering. Of course, I have to LOVE the car to keep it for ten years. My record for used cars is three years. I just want something newer. :)

If you plan to resell it as soon as the loan is up, no, extended warranties are a bad deal.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander