Focus - need info pretty quick

Page 1 of 2
Hey all,
I just recently (tonight) drove a Focus and I absolutely LOVED it. I know about all the recalls and all, but the family member's who've had
Fords before have all had EXCELLENT service.
This post, however, is about gas mileage. The focus is listed as 16/35, and my biggest concern is excellent gas mileage -- mostly in the city. Nope, 16mpg doesn't quite excite me.
I wanted to hear back from Focus owners (please) on your experiences with the mileage you're getting, as well as any other opinons you may have.
I'll be making my decision this weekend. Take care, and feel free to email me! Jon snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Pretty sure that should be 26/35.
The EPA CAFE guide list the following for the '03 Focus
www.fueleconomy.gov
A-4 2V at 27/33 A-4 4V at 25/31 M-5 2V at 27/36 M-5 4V at 26/34
mike hunt
Stephan Mynarkiewicz wrote:

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about fueleconomy.gov..
However, I was wondering if, from other *owners*, whether the EPA estimates are reasonable in the real world.
Thanks again.
Jon
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

how you drive, terrain, traffic, etc. I'd recommend you look up the economy numbers for your current vehicle, and compare it to what you are getting. Your Focus would get roughly the same percentage higher or lower as your current car. <Insert Massive Disclaimer here> Of course, since the Focus is probably in much better tune, I'd call that guess a minimum.
You hit the nail on the head with the how you drive, terrain, traffic, etc. My one son owned a Focus 2dr 5 speed for his long daily commute to work over mountainous country. He had the opportunity to ge into a bigger car pool if he had a car that could hold another driver/rider. He bought a Mercury Grand Marquis V8. His average mileage only dropped 5 MPG less than making the same trip with the 4cy engine.
mike hunt
John Alt wrote:

I had a 1989 4cyl Probe (2.2L I4) with automatic, back in the early/mid 90s.. I averaged 35mpg on the interstate, and 30mpg everyday driving... I lived in "the boonies" then, but I was also a teen and drove like one.. hard. I also had a '91 Mazda MX-6 (same engine as the probe, but was a 5speed manual) a few years later, I used it on a paper route for about 2 years, and got about 25-30mpg on the route (just over 75miles a night, stop and go the whole way..)
Then, when it burned (literally..) I bought the Taurus (3.8L V6, auto).. and it only got about 10-15mpg on the paper route. Which is lower than the EPA's indications.
Now, the Taurus averages around 20mpg in everyday driving since leaving the paper back in 2001, which is closer to the EPAs.. It would probably get better mileage if the tranny wasn't basically shot, and the rear end wasn't warped.. (thats what happens when ya get sideswiped by an uninsured motorist.. only had liability... oh well. :/ )
Chuck
I can say that I drove a Ford Focus from where I live (Pensacola, FL) to Panama City, FL then over Tallahassee and back on a tank of gas. And when I "drove" it I really drove it hard. I don't think I did under 80 much of the way. Nice driving little car and not too bad on room either.

Thanks everyone for their replies. I think I've decided, and I'm probably going to be trading in my Heap for a Focus tomorrow night.
Take car,e Jon

Jon Patrick wrote:

One bit of advice, though - the little wagon is pretty nice, but in any case, consider the better engine. You loose sometihng like 1-2 mpg for a bit HP increase.
"Jon Patrick" wrote

If it's the twin-turbo Heap GTX, I'd keep it. It'll be a classic some day.

No, it's the very rare Heap Cherokee.:)
So, for any who've been paying attention.
I went to the dealer tonight to buy the Focus. I drove it, and there seemed to be a bit too much wind and road noise... seems the driver window was a bit off track. One IOU, the 30 day warranty, and I was purchasing an extended warranty anyway... no worries. Well, that wasn't the car I went there for, but the 2nd one they had on the lot (liked the tan interior better than the grey). Then, they printed out our paperwork wrong and had to reprint. Of course, that meant getting another approval... so, my quick handle-as-much-as-possible-over-the-phone deal still ended up taking 2 hours.
SOOO, as I get in the focus, my son safely strapped in his seat, all my sh** transferred out of the Jeep into my new, fully gassed Focus, I look teary-eyed over at my jeep, put it in drive, go to roll up the (power) driver's window.
Nothing. Yep, it went down and stayed there.
I've got a loaner Taurus (yuck) right now. I'll be picking up my focus on Monday... :(
Not an auspicious start.
Jon
I wish I could have warned you about getting the extended warranty. Usually they are good for one thing...making the dealership money.

FordBlueBlood wrote:

It depends. I've seen 2-3 year extensions on certain models as low as 3-400 dollars, which is the price of a single computer module these days(or pretty close to it).
IMO, if you plan to run it into the ground, an extended warranty if CHEAP, is good, especially if you only drive 8-12K a year like I do. 10 year/100K warranty on the drivetrain alone is worth a free transmission in that time in most cases, or a new engine if the timing chain breaks at 55K or so.
For me, ten years IS 100K miles - almost exactly - so it is worth considering. Of course, I have to LOVE the car to keep it for ten years. My record for used cars is three years. I just want something newer. :)
If you plan to resell it as soon as the loan is up, no, extended warranties are a bad deal.

What do you to break transmissions in less than 100,000 miles?
Timothy J. Lee
In my case, just let the wife drive! Most (tranmissions) give in to her by 60,000 miles!

In that case, I'd flush'n'fill every 25k. My wife is the same way.

You need to flush'n'fill your wife every 25k? Wow, mine must be way past due...
Jon

This is the first extended warranty I've ever bought on a car... but I hope/plan/intend to keep this car for years, and I have finally convinced myself it isn't that bad of a deal. I only got a 4/48 extension; I'm sure the dealer has an obscene profit margin, but I was leaving a Jeep where one BIG concern was whether it was going to break and leave me stranded in traffic one morning. The extended warranty might give the dealer some additional profit - but it gives ME peace of mind.
But, in all honesty, thanks for your concern.
Jon