Focus - need info pretty quick

Page 2 of 2
Jon Patrick wrote:

So what did they charge you for 4 more years?
The Focus comes with a 3yr/36K warranty and a 100K extended warranty as standard equipment, why do you need to buy one?
mike hunt
Jon Patrick wrote:

When I bought my 2003 ZX5 in June they were offering the extended warranty "for free" or that amount as a credit towards a longer warranty. Since I bought a 2000 and suffered thru many recalls (paid for) and then after the 36,000 miles were up had other weird failures that weren't. And for PEACE of MIND - I figured an extra $700. for 5 years / 100,000 miles was worth it. I will have the car until it dies or I do...so I figure it was a safe investment. Since I got mine on a Ford Z plan they didn't make that much profit off me anyway. Linda

EPA mileage numbers are derived from an emissions compliance test that are intentionally adjusted by multipliers to make them more "realistic," but in real life the city figure will be roughly (very roughly) 1/3 lower, the highway figure 1/3 higher, but not for hybrids.
I had a 2000 ZX3 5 spd. The lowest I've ever gotten was 28mpg. I'd usually get 29-32 range. On a couple highway trips it hit 36 in both cases. The 2000 had the bulk of the recalls and the 2001 had some. The 2002 and 2003 had no recalls, I think. Some 04s get a Duratec 2.3L engine with similar mpg, low emissions and more horsepower.
I did not have any problems outside of the recalls. I traded it in six weeks ago because I wanted a Mustang GT. John
Jon Patrick wrote:

I'd honestly consdier a Civic, Neon, or Sentra before a Focus. As for the 15 mpg - that's a typo. 25.
What gets me is the horrible and completely unuseable interior of all Ford products. Only GM does worse. The Sentra SE-R, otoh, is a powerful little car with great reliability AND features. More power, better mileage, and better handling.
Civics - well, they are what they are - good little cars with no real problems.
Not a fan of the Echo, though - feels too cheap and underpowered for my tastes. Small as well - feels cramped inside.
is the horrible and completely unuseable interior

I drive a Maxima, and can vouch that the Focus interior is GREAT compared to the competition. The vehicle as a whole has a very tight German feel to it, very comparable to the Jetta I used to own. I regularly rent them when I go on business trips, I wouldn't hesisitate to recommend one to a friend (I have before). The Sentra SE-R is much more expensive than the Focus, the cars aren't really in the same league. Unless he's talking about buying the SVT, of course.

I'd have to agree with that statement. I was very impressed with the Focus the first time I drove it. Before then I was all for the Civic, but the Focus is much more solid and refined, handles better, and has more power (not sure of the specification, but it sure felt that way).
I had always believed that Toyota and Honda made the best cars, but that's not true anymore. Their quality and reliability ratings are going downhill FAST. My next car will most likely be an American car.