Focus power locks inoperative?

The power locks on my wife's 2000 Focus wagon have all stopped working, along with the button that controls the rear door. Since I have done a lot of work on cars, I speculated that being the whole system is not getting power, that would indicate that a fuse or relay had failed.The manual shows lots of fuses and relays, but none for the power locks. According to the manual there is a "lock control module" on the back of the fuse panel. I removed it, and it is a black plastic box that says it is a "multifunction control". Now since the whole system does not work for all four side doors, and since the rear gate also works off/with the power lock circuit, I reasoned that the module must have failed. I bought a new one and installed... Nothing changed.. Called service mgr at a dealer and they say have not had other Focus' with this problem, but that anything electrical had to be fused in some way. But there absolutely is no fuse shown among those in owner manual (and these have a lot...) unless it is inside of lock module (and perhaps is a circuit breaker instead of fuse..?). Anyone else had power door lock problems on Fords that resemble our problem? If so, what was determined to be the cause? We cannot open rear gate and all four side doors have to be locked and unlocked individually, so it is a real pain.. Never going to buy another car or truck with electric door locks... Last week my TA locked me out of the car with it's electric locks deciding to lock the doors when I got out of the car to inspect the front license plate....These power accessories are way more trouble than they are worth...

Reply to
Mike Haglund

I have the same exact problem on my 2000 Focus SE (4 door). I bought a Haynes manual which shows the locking module on the passenger side of the car on the lower A-pillar. I'm not sure if that's the same thing you replaced or not. Anyway, I haven't bought any parts yet and I read this post and though I'd reply for the heck of it. At least you're not alone in this battle.

My problem happened very suddenly in that one time my locks worked and the next they all stopped working (including trunk) and the power lock buttons inside the car don't work either. Odd situation. Obviously something electrical, but exactly what it is, I wish I knew.

Let me know if you find anything out about this and I'll do the same for you.

Regards,

Eric McCann Germantown, WI snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Reply to
emccann

Hey guys,

I am having the same problems with my 2000 focus zx3.

The good news: There is an #63 20A yellow fuse hidden behind the fuse box. (you'll need to remoove the 2 7mm bolt holding the fuse box to get to the back) Mine was blown, and replacing it i was able to finally unlock all my doors ...

The bad news: The fuse always re-blow after using my car for a day or 2. There is probably a short somewhere. But where??? visual inspection didn't reveal anything...

Note: Before investigating this myself, I had my car serviced at an authorized dealer (my driver door was jammed, could not even open it with the key!!!) They were of absolutely no help even if a suggested this might be an electrical problem with the power lock. They were actually going to saw through the interior trimming (and of course charge me 400$) before I stopped them!!! I found out about the "secret" #63 fusegoogling on the internet. I'm thinking of billing the dealer for a training session. Now I can at least open my door...

Any help from somebody that solved similar problem is appreciated.

Reply to
someFocusOwner

It sounds like one of the latch assemblies is shorting out. The latch assembly has an electrical actuator built-in for the power locks. If you sniff around by each door (latch assmbly) you'll be able to tell which one is shorted, it'll have a burnt electronics smell.

Until you replace the bad latch assmbly, you'll keep on blowing the #63 fuse.

Good luck,

box. (you'll need to remoove the 2 7mm bolt holding the fuse box to get to the back) Mine was blown, and replacing it i was able to finally unlock all my doors ...

There is probably a short somewhere. But where??? visual inspection didn't reveal anything...

dealer (my driver door was jammed, could not even open it with the key!!!) They were of absolutely no help even if a suggested this might be an electrical problem with the power lock. They were actually going to saw through the interior trimming (and of course charge me 400$) before I stopped them!!! I found out about the "secret" #63 fusegoogling on the internet. I'm thinking of billing the dealer for a training session. Now I can at least open my door...

Reply to
Robin Nagamine

This was a VERY helpful reply. I am so thankful that there are people like you to help people like us. Until now, I never heard of fuse #63.... Go figure!

I'll give it a try on my car tomorrow afternoon and let you all know what happens.

Thanks again!

Eric McCann

Reply to
emccann