Ford 3.0 302 V8 engine in a Madza Miata

Page 1 of 2
I once talked with my uncle and my brother about a late 90's Madza Miata. My uncle said that the car has a 4 cylinder engine. However, you can take a 3.0 302 cu. in. V8 engine from a late 90's Ford Crown Victoria and
put it in a late 90's Madza Miata and the engine fits in the car on the drive shaft perfectly. I don't know if this is true or not. Does anyone know the truth behind this and correct me if I'm wrong.
~CyberWolf
The 5.0 is a very compact engine and will fit in a lot of vehicles. Will it fit in a Miata? Do not know, but I suspect it will. The Sunbeam Tiger is a good example. Very small British car with a Ford 302 sold through Chrysler. I believe it was Bob Glidden that had a Ford 460 powered Opal GT on the NHRA circuit. That would be the very opposite of the spectrum, but the point is if you have the time, funds and skills anything is possible.

I _was_ going to leave this one alone, but now that the misinformation is sneaking in...it's time for straightening you guys out.
The 5.0 in the Miata is a very common swap, and even has/had a company doing them.
Monster Miata: http://monstermiata.com /
The Sunbeam Tiger (I used to own one) was initially a product of a British-owned company, the Rootes Group. Beginning in 1964, it was offered with the Ford 260 2v V8. In 1967, it was offered with the 289 4v. Never with a 302, although it is a straight swap. The Rootes Group was purchased by Chrysler in 1967, but the 318 wouldn't fit, and Chrysler killed the Tiger.
As far as Bob Glidden driving a 460-powered Opel GT, I seriously doubt it, although I am not 100 percent sure. I do know he had a 427 powered 64 Fairlane Thunderbolt and many 351C powered cars in the 70's, but since Bob was a Ford mechanic at a Ford dealership, it is very unlikely he ever had an Opel GT.
Gerard Thundersnake 14

--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html

Thomas Moats opined in

It very well COULD have been.... remember this was around the time of the genesis of the "Funny Car" and that's where Glidden excelled. But the classes that SHOW the Opel GT from that era are "-Altered" and "- Gas".
I did a search and did not come up with a Glidden / Opel connection but a nostalgia prints site shows a Panella & Miner Opel Gasser (Funny config)
http://www.precision-illustration.com /
And the KS Pittman Opel listed as Altered but part of the Gasser family..
These WERE funny cars... the bodies were fiberglas replica
I KNOW Gasser's used straight axles... and believe Altered's did too.
Remember the 64 Thunderbolts and Cyclones were "A F/X" factory experimental
thunderbolts and cyclones were B F/X cars the A F/X was a falcon
He also ran a Plymouth Arrow in 79. In 98 and final season behind the wheel, a Pontiac. As to the Opal, still not sure but I'm leaning that direction.

Opel---Opel---O-P-E-L---Opel----Opel...I thought that maybe after seeing a few other guys spell it correctly, that you'd notice...
Opel
Gerard

--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html
Get a grip. If you would notice, I use the word to and too incorrectly all the time. So what.

Learn to spell!
At least learn proper names, when you're obviously reading other posts where it's spelled correctly...pay attention!
Gerard

--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html
Get a grip. Itz not realy a important think. The world wil not end. This is not a "profesional" forem. go take your drugs for your condition and relax.

ONE... many people including this one... and I bet You, at times, have a tendency to "TYPO" certain words.
TOO.. It's NOT important enough to go thru the trouble of a spell checker - which wouldnt work anyway.
Sometimes it helps to byte you're inner cheek... and live with it.
"geewhiz" opined in

Well, unlike you, I'm not the type of person who can live with mediocrity in my personal presentation.
Sure I make mistakes, but at least I make an effort to correct myself, and to gracefully accept correction when someone points out a fact or word I've gotten wrong. Guess it's just in my nature to constantly try to improve.
Would it have been so hard for you to say, "Wow, I've been spelling it wrong for a long time. Thanks for the correction!" That's what I would have said, rather than trying to justify incorrect spelling.
Gerard

--

Thomas Moats wrote:

--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html
Oh, my dear lord! My god of all gods! You are the only one with enlightenment! I mean I misspelled O-p-a-l, I am not worthy. Please correct me again, as only you who are with out mediocrity can do.

I saw a write-up in I believe 5.0 Magazine about the monster miata. They first bolted the 5.0 straight in using the rest of the Mazda drive line but the car was geared way too low with that configuration. So for drivability it is not a straight forward swap.

I have seen a Miata with a HO 5.0L v8.. he had to rebuild some of the engine compartment (shallowed the wheel wells slightly, and had to lessen his steering travel to make it fit) so yea, it is possible
Owner of the beast was the shop manager of a no-longer-in-business Mazda dealership..
Just remember, that car's tranny was designed for a 4cyl, and the increased torque of the V8 can likely cause some serious damage to the rearend if you dont also do something there.
Chuck
Didn't the late 90's crown vic have the 4.6?

91 was the last year for the 5.0 in the Crown Vic. So I guess that's not very late in the 90's