Ford 6.0 Diesel 2004 Smoking and Hesitation

Looking for some helpful feedback. I have owned for less then a year a 2004 Ford Super Duty with a 6.0 Diesel. Ran great all last summer pulling a 5th
Wheel. Cooler weather came (<30 degrees F) and the truck became almost un-drivable. The truck starts fine, runs fine until it reaches full engine temp. then when trying to accelerate it hesitates smoking and sputtering something terrible. I have used fuel stabilizers for diesels without any success. The only trick I can use to drive it is when stopped at a red light I put it in neutral and rev the engine until the smoke and sputtering stops then I put it in Drive and proceed. I was told Diesels dont do well in cold weather but I dont see other trucks struggling like I am.
You should actually (at the very least) have the PCM scanned for codes.... This is a very complex system and it isn't hard to waste a LOT of money buying unnecessary parts.
Two of the most common cay\uses of your concern are the EGR valve and the VGT mechanism in the turbocharger (though some other concerns can mimic these symptoms). Both of these can be tested using a capable scan tool.