Ford 7.3 diesel - coolant bleeding question

Hello all,
I have a 93 F350 with the 7.3 diesel engine, and am ready to change out the coolant. I have read that after draining the block and radiator of
antifreeze, you need to bleed the system while refilling it. The instructions I read say that while filling, you need to disconnect the top hose from the water pump (the one that goes to the heater core) and reconnect it once coolant begins to come out of the pump.
I was wondering if anyone had more information on this step - is it necessary, and if so, is there a way to avoid doing so? For example, if I left the coolant in the block, and only drained the radiator, would that let me avoid having to disconnect the water pump hose while refilling?
Thanks in advance,
Chris