Ford batteries

My wife was driving her 2004 Mustang the other day when the entire electrical system died. The radio went dead, the engine stopped, the dashboard lights and indicators went crazy. The engine wouldn't crank, so I tried to jumper it to a battery in my Ranger with the Ranger engine running.

The Mustang still wouldn't crank, so we towed it to a Ford dealer as it is still under warranty. The dealer diagnosed it as a "bad" battery and replaced it and all is now well.

The dealer told my wife something about it not being possible to jumper these batteries. I'm not sure if he was referring to all ford batteries, or just this particular "bad" battery which I suspect developed an internal short.

Has anyone ever heard anything about not being able to jumper ford batteries?

BTW, the same exact kind of battery failure and inability to jumper start occurred in my wife's 1999 Mercury Cougar when it was about 3 years old. Has anyone else heard of these kind of battery failures?

Reply to
Vic Dura

Sure, but not only a Ford battery, any car battery. If a cell shorts out you can not generally start the car unless you disconnect it from the system. once you start the car it can run off the alternator.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And if you have a pair of $4.00 jumper cables you can bet you can't jump any car:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al