Ford chief seeks help from Toyota

Yet you have yet to provide any evidence that the first digit of VIN has anything to do with content.

Considering that a similar Ford truck has more than 80% US content, it seems rather strange to think that Ford would enough parts from Mexico or Canada to drop the content to less than 40%. It also seems strange that Lincolns have mike

Reply to
Jeff

The VIN list the manufacture as well as the divisions and truck have a different body designations than cars . You can try here

but You may need a password to log on. No, I will not give you mine if you do.

What makes you think I would ever ride in the NYC subway? Keep searching and you will find what I found ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I give up on trying to enlighten you. You keep going around in circles. They do NOT have the same US content or they would have the same VIN.

You keep referring to the NA parts label that uses those figures. Don't you ever think about what you are seeing there. Don't you realize the 80% on the NA label could be 100% Mexican or Canada? A Camry, that is made totally in Japan with a 'J', has a NA parts label that say something ridiculous like 80% NA parts when obviously it has none.

mike

y08...

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No need. Not giving out your password is a very good idea. I don't even give my password to my family. Of course, if you knew my family, you wouldn't give out passwords to them, either.

On page two of that document, it lists the meaning of the WMI. It doesn't mention content.

Fine, we can walk to a restaurant in Times Square or take a taxi (they use Ford Crown Vics). You can park in the Port Authority Bus Terminal Garage. All those places are within walking distance if you're up to it.

I think you are afraid to take the challange.

From the US code that requires VINs: The first section shall consist of three characters that occupy positions one through three (1-3) in the VIN. This section shall uniquely identify the manufacturer, make and type of the motor vehicle if its manufacturer produces 500 or more motor vehicles of its type annually. If the manufacturer produces less than 500 motor vehicles of its type annually, these characters along with the third, fourth and fifth characters of the fourth section shall uniquely identify the manufacturer, make and type of the motor vehicle. These characters are assigned in accordance with §565.7(a).

Don't you think it would mention content if the first character had anything to do with content?

And here is an intersting article that mentions that we are running out of VINs that start with 5.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sorry, it was sent accidently before this was pasted:

This indicates that the reason why 4 and 5 were added as the first digit of the VIN is that we ran out of 1s, then 4s, and now we are getting short of

5s. Content has nothing to do with it.

This is the last time I am going to respond to you in this thread, unless you can actually provide a real link that actually works. I am wasting my time. And, at your age, you don't have much time either.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm sure you have proof that the US content of the LT falls below 70% and the US content of the F150 is above 80% beyond the alleged first digit designation.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You made the claim, you back it up. Nothing you or anyone else posted confirms your claims.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You're making a cyclical argument, based on the premise that your original claim is correct, which you have provided NO documentation other than "because I said so."

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I'm with you, Jeff. But I don't think Mike is going to change his feeble mind.

If I find myself at the Detroit auto show this month I will make a note of the VIN's and domestic content of the cars I look at and post them here. It opens to the public next Sunday.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I will do the same at the NYC show. I wish Mike would join me, though. While I disagree with him on this issue as well as who is #2 in US auto sales, he seems to be a nice gentleman who likes cars. I should be fun meeting him and seeing the cars with him (or any other member of the newsgroup).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

How can that possibly be? VINs are specific by their nature to a particular vehicle. Obviously you have not learned anything from this discussion, even from the things you yourself have posted, like the designation for individual models that are part of the individual VIN. I .E. a P71 is an Interceptor, a P74 is a CV LX, a T85 is a Mustang GT convertible and an M26 is a Zephyr, T15 is an F150, an X15 is a 4x4 F150 etc.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Thank goodness for that ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You can find what you seek if you do your homework. That is what I did, when I became curious as to why the US had three numbers and other countries had only one. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually it is because I know so, because I did the search to find out why. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That is the source of your misunderstanding, you guys are equating NA parts content with US content.

The funny thing is I asked the question of one of the Ford engineers at the NYC show last year, he did not know the difference either. I had to call one of my old friends also retired, from when I worked as a design engineer at Ford, to get the correct answer as to why three are three numbers for vehicle assembled the US.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Of course people can disagree and still be a nice people, except politicians I guess. Besides all my friends and relatives love me. ;)

I have been going to the NYC International Auto Show since I was in college in the early fifties, when it was held in the NYC Convention Center at Columbus Circle. A number of friends in the business from Delaware and I would drive every year but now we go by limousine on the first day, however and that is the day before it is opens to the public.

mike

Mike Hunter

Yet you won't share it to prove your claims, and you wonder why no one believes you.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Which office did you work at? I know a number of folks who work in Dearborn, one of them lives two doors down from me. I will ask them if they remember you...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

In my final years I worked in structural destructive testing, on crumple zone design. I retired from Ford in 1986. You will not find me as Mike Hunter in any event

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Nice, so you won't confirm where you worked, under what name, you've been retired for better than two decades, and your "sources" are retired engineers as well, who I am sure are completely "in the know" for current specifications and up-to-date practical engineering guidelines.