Ford chief seeks help from Toyota

Page 7 of 7

Why is consolidation a bad thing?
Foreigners are not buying US auto companies. Who wants to buy all those pension and health insurance problems? Clearly, the way things are going, with big 3 sales slipping and foreign companies' sales increasing, the big-3 won't be that important. Besides, rumor is that DiamlerChrysler wants to get rid of the Chrysler part.
In fact, Toyota has already surpassed Ford as the second biggest seller of autos, because it sold more autos in Nov. and Dec., and will sell more autos this year overall.
Jeff

Only in your mind it seems. Ford sold more cars in the previous TEN months an Ford sold several times as many light trucks, to outsell Toyota in 2006 The best selling vehicles in the US are not cars but trucks and Toyota is an also-ran when it comes to total truck sales LOL
mike

Thanks for correcting me. I am trying to figure out if I was trying to say American Airliners in the industry or what else lol.

You are taking things out of context. The opening argument I made was that the govt should intervene to save the Automotive industry. Someone replied they shouldnt and used examples of other companies the US let go wayside. My argument was if we allow our manufacturing to fail we lose out in a bigger way.

Working harder isn't the answer. Many people I know work up to 3 or 4 jobs to make ends meat. The govt isn't protecting Americans rather corporations and foreign interests. In this environment you can work harder and when you burn out you get replaced. If you finally reach a certain level you get replaced by someone for less money too. My brother works for the FAA in the IT field. They are talking about releasing all IT and having someone from India assist over the phone with their problems. Even if that threat fails they fire all the old workers and hire new people at lower wages. Their is no stability in America on any level. Strange times we live in sadly.
Nick
One of the problems may be that statistics show only around 1.4% of working Americans belong to a union today, and unfortunately most that do work for the government. Another problem is Americans will buy something without regard to where it is made. One can rationalize their reasons for doing so but if you are not going to buy most of things made in your own county, as the Japanese tend to do, then there we be fewer jobs in you own country. Americans complain if a corporation buy from a low wage county, with fewer costly government regulations and fewer lawyer, to save money, then we turn around and do the exactly same thing ourselves as consumers. We can not have it both ways.. I seems the only thing our grand children well need to know it how to say 'Welcome to Wal-Mart' or 'Do you want fries with that?' If we don't buy more American made products we will have only ourselves to blame. ;)
mike

Nicholas Anthony wrote:

How about working smarter?
What we are seeing is that the rest of the world is learning to do what we have been doing, and we are not learning fast enough to do something nobody else does yet.
When the folks in those turd-world countries can do anything for less money than we are willing to do it for, of course that's where the production goes. Government can not stop that process, anymore than water will flow uphill, or than you can get more energy out of a gallon of corn than out of a gallon of gasoline.
The worst politicians will try to tell you different, because that's what you want to hear, but it just ain't so.
Jack

Actually, we are. We make the world's best selling car (the Camry); Ford and GM are working on a new transmission with a hybrid motor built in (so that all one would need to do to make a car a hybrid is add batteries and include this transmission); we're world leaders in fuel cell research; we're doing much research to make us a hydrogen economy; and we make solar powered cars that can go accross a desert.
We're also world leaders in providing health care and pension benefits to our workers.

It is third-world, not turd world. It is not like they chose to be poor. What would you do if you were in a third world country? Say, gee, I had better not work for the new Ford plant, I might be taking a job from an American.
However, the Japanese auto makers are building plants in the US, too.

Actually, we now get more energy out of corn than it takes to make the ethanol.
http://zmagsite.zmag.org/Jan2007/tokar0107.html

Actually, it is so.
You have to keep up with the news.
Jeff

Jack There is some manufacturing that has to be protected. The California port lock out by the port owners should have been a wake up call, but it wasn't. The reason the feds intervened was military parts were running low. The first ships unloaded where those with Military parts, and those with perishable goods. If I can shut your military parts supply off, as has been demonstrated in every single war the last 100 years, I can stop you cold. Asia can shut our military down any time they want. They can do the same thing to a god part of our transportation infrastructure as well. Nothing works to well these days with out those fancy circuit boards.
Whitelightning
Whitelightning wrote:

[...]
We are on the same side then, if you agree it's less about protecting jobs than protecting capacity. The jobs will come along with it and that's not a bad thing. But how do you do it at an affordable price with a minimum of corruption and waste? By facilitating R&D and investment, and not by creating a government-financed and -protected enclave for inefficiency, e.g., Ethanol.
I think we can stop feeding Asia as quickly as you say they can stop our transportation.
Jack

You assume the powers that be in China give a rats ass about some peasant starving to death.
Whitelightning