Ford Connect diesel Van Oil Pressure?

When starting from cold the oil pressure light takes a few seconds (more than it should?) to go out. Until it does go out (indicating that the oil pressure is OK) the engine sounds like a bag of nails. The engine will then be OK all day long until the following morning. Done the usual of change the oil and filter, but no difference. Oil pressure relive valve seems OK (piston slides OK, spring is not broken) even fitted a pressure gauge to make sure there is pressure.

Needless to say I'm worried about damage to the engine on cold start-ups.

Any of you wonderful mechanics got any ideas as to what it might be? This problem did start after a relative long trip.

Mileage 72,000

2004 vintage

All help appreciated

ttfn....Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Ross

hard to lose an oil pump ... but it happens.

when a Ford Diesel is sorted out correctly, once the glow plugs are hot (the dash light is out saying you can start engine) ... it will fire right up ... the various lubricants in the drive train take about 30 seconds to pressure up as a short wait is indicated ... then it is off you go.

recommend bio-diesel as a premimum fuel ... ford diesels run soooo smoooth on it i must say.

note "" if the oil the bio-fuel is made from will plug up your arteries ... then that oil will plug up your fuel injectors.

other then that ... just have to keep a mold inhibitor from growing on the food fuel ... and be in a temperate climate to run 100% bio-fuel.

if in Tahoe/Minnasota country ... then 20% bio-diesel mix is the best you can do ... Ford diesels have fuel heater in their fuel delivery system.

soooo ... give your oil pump a look at ... you can also do an oil flush ... run the gunk off the engine ... doubt you have that problem ... but what the heck .. might as well take a good go at it and thinking sludge has not gotten the good end of your engine.

Might be though ... got some very bad fuel on your long trip would do it.

sumbuddie on da watchtower

"?

Reply to
Alan Mac Farlane

oh Alistair ...

on startup ... some people use a stethescope ... or even a used broom stick to help pinpoint the noise ... that is being heard until oil pressure comes up to make up the difference ... such as losing a connecting rod bearing making a slapping noise.

Well, using a broom stick on the parts of the engine block while running, with an ear on the other end ... can help you locate where the noise center is ... and this will give you a better idea where to look, like in busting down the engine block just a little bit for a look see and feel around.

sumbuddie hopes this helps

:?

Reply to
Alan Mac Farlane

One needs to exercise care when dispensing advice....

For warranty purposes, Ford would prefer that bio-diesel content be no more than 5%.... However, I have very little experience with bio-diesel. Currently, there are no regulations (or infrastructure) to ensure that all bio-diesel is created 'equal'. Where I live can get pretty chilly in the winter... we always have some -40 days and -50 isn't unheard of... bio-diesel doesn't seem to live all that well in those temps...

Fuel heaters.... time to catch up with the world.... 6.9s and 7.3s have fuel heaters... early 6.0s had them BUT.... if you are replacing the WIF sensor or the HFCM, you will find that fuel heaters are a deleted item... no more... vanished.... gone...

Lastly.... Alistair is talking about a Ford Transit Connect... I don't think we see many of them on the streets of North America.... However, they ARE now being imported to North America... but, AFAIK, only with the 2.0 gasoline engine.

Alistair, given our lack of familiarity with your motor, my only sane suggestion would be to recommend that you find out if your oil filter requires an anti-drain back valve and then to be sure your brand of oil filters has one if required. Other than that, Google to see if there are any forums more inclined towards either your van or your locale....

But then - I'm a Yorkshireman....

Ayup.....

Reply to
Jim Warman